Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SSZ will not skid! what is being overlooked?!

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
05 VZ SSZ auto.

The vehicle is being tweaked where needed to skid on the pad for the odd private day.. so nothing here is for on street use.

The vehicle has been tuned. Torque reduction, traction, anti abuse, throttle delay all off in the tune up.

We are stumped! is there something specific in the tune that we are missing???? The tuner doesnt particularly set up cars to skid, so he'd be forgiven for possibly overlooking something?

We keep being told "it needs a mafless tune" but wtf will that get that a maf tune wont?

when you load the throttle up on the brake it makes a sound as if traction is kicking in, but the wheels havent even turned yet?!

Please help!!

Last edited:

King diddy calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Calais 05 Alloytec 190 with a secret mod
Im not sure if you can...but is there a relay/fuse or something for traction? if so, maybe pull it out? only thing i can think of a MAFless tune would have over a MAF tune would be a little extra power, piss all though to be the difference between spinning the treads and not. And by torque reduction do you mean torque management? or are they two different things?

Last edited:

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
Im not sure if you can...but is there a relay/fuse or something for traction? if so, maybe pull it out? only thing i can think of a MAFless tune would have over a MAF tune would be a little extra power, piss all though to be the difference between spinning the treads and not. And by torque reduction do you mean torque management? or are they two different things?

Im just relaying info, and im not familar with LS cars so im not totally sure. He said he's pulled the abs fuse- still not static skid.

So many trolls on other forums where im asking for advice... so frustrating.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
First, smart arse comment from me:

The ABS prevents the vehicle from skidding. Not sure why you would want to so "skids"

Semi smart arse comment:

If you can't work it out then you shouldn't be doing it.

And normal comment:

Manual or Auto? Pretty sure auto's have an anti abuse built into the box. Could be that.

ALso, how hard is he applying the brake? If he's holding it too hard then it would take a lot of power to overcome the brakes.

Easier just to do it in a manual. Rev, drop clutch, wheels full lock and FUN... Not that I would know. :whistling:

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I cant think of anything in the tune that would stop it...for ease of getting it to skid, could you not install a B&M Launch Control/Line Locker to lock the front brakes on, that is assuming you're only doing this to get some heat into the tyres before a pass. If you're doing it on a skid pan, you might still be able to use it, to get the wheels spinning and hopefully if you turn it off, so you get brake control back it wont kick you off the throttle as soon as you touch the brakes.

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
I am pretty sure anything VY onwards has some kind of 'anti abuse' function in the autos. I know in my mates WK Stato when you stall it up on the brake it revs to about 1500 then just sits there and doesn't rev any higher.
If you want a skid pig for the track go buy an auto VN. Break it, buy another one. Won't be out of pocket more then $500 for each skid pan day...
Leave the nice SSZ for the street cruises :)

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
First, smart arse comment from me:

The ABS prevents the vehicle from skidding. Not sure why you would want to so "skids"

Semi smart arse comment:

If you can't work it out then you shouldn't be doing it.

And normal comment:

Manual or Auto? Pretty sure auto's have an anti abuse built into the box. Could be that.

ALso, how hard is he applying the brake? If he's holding it too hard then it would take a lot of power to overcome the brakes.

Easier just to do it in a manual. Rev, drop clutch, wheels full lock and FUN... Not that I would know. :whistling:

Mate, we are trying anything.... abs fuse removal was tried as he thought maybe the abs detection on the rear wheels may b affecting it?

its auto 5.7.

i know, my preference is manual too... but alas its auto... hence more electronic shz to overcome.. f f s

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
I cant think of anything in the tune that would stop it...for ease of getting it to skid, could you not install a B&M Launch Control/Line Locker to lock the front brakes on, that is assuming you're only doing this to get some heat into the tyres before a pass. If you're doing it on a skid pan, you might still be able to use it, to get the wheels spinning and hopefully if you turn it off, so you get brake control back it wont kick you off the throttle as soon as you touch the brakes.

his simple wish is for it to static lol. I know that having fly by wire opens up a huge can of worms. its beyond my level experience anyway.

Ive told him to buy a vn 5L and pop tyres everyday of the week hehe

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
I haven't tried a stand still in mine, but if I have T/C off and give it a boot full it starts to spin in a straight line once it shifts into 2nd.

Maybe mine has had some work done to it.

Wogboy1994

Rough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
when i was on some "private property" i just turned T/C off held my foot hard on the brake then flat footed the accelerator and waited for it to really lose traction then slightly let go of the brakes if you want to move