Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ starting problems

nstrawbr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Hey!

Im just having some issues starting my VZ Lumina. About 6 months ago when i would turn the key it would just click then usually on the second turn it would start. As the key wasnt unlocking the car at times also i decided to get a new key.

After this it started all the time with no problems. Then about 3 months ago it started happening again some days worse than others being that it may take quiet a few turns of the key before the car would start.

As far as I know the click is the starter motor but i would of thought that after 3 months it would of just given up by now. So the other thing im thinking is could it maybe be the BCM.

Has anybody else had anything like this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as its becoming very annoying haha.

Thanks,

Nate

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
My vz started clicking every now and then and it got worse then all of a sudden car wouldnt start, so i went down to the wreckers bought a starter motor for $40 it took me about an hour to replace, and problem fixed. Usually on rainy days i have issues with car locking/unlocking with the key for some strange reason

LexVZute

Real men drive utes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute 190 Alloytech
Clicking usually denotes a flat battery, which is why your key may not have been opening the locks well either.

Save for a possibility that the key was under-powered and the immobiliser was cutting out the start function, ie just battery in the car and key problems.

Sometimes if it's cold, the car doesn;t have enough cold-cranking amps to fire it up, the car automatically cuts out the start sequence and it ticks. But, if it warms up a bit, it will have enough voltage to complete the circuit and kick over, then you'll have enough charge for short trips, till you leave the batt for a longer period again.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Clicking usually denotes a flat battery, which is why your key may not have been opening the locks well either.

Save for a possibility that the key was under-powered and the immobiliser was cutting out the start function, ie just battery in the car and key problems.

Sometimes if it's cold, the car doesn;t have enough cold-cranking amps to fire it up, the car automatically cuts out the start sequence and it ticks. But, if it warms up a bit, it will have enough voltage to complete the circuit and kick over, then you'll have enough charge for short trips, till you leave the batt for a longer period again.

No, as the post above you stated, clicking usually means starter motor.

Craig01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 06 executive
Same problem.

Hey!

Im just having some issues starting my VZ Lumina. About 6 months ago when i would turn the key it would just click then usually on the second turn it would start. As the key wasnt unlocking the car at times also i decided to get a new key.

After this it started all the time with no problems. Then about 3 months ago it started happening again some days worse than others being that it may take quiet a few turns of the key before the car would start.

As far as I know the click is the starter motor but i would of thought that after 3 months it would of just given up by now. So the other thing im thinking is could it maybe be the BCM.

Has anybody else had anything like this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as its becoming very annoying haha.

Thanks,

Hi first time here I have the same problem I cleaned around the key barrel with very fine sand paper softly and the part on the key. I also checked the fuse box a made sure they were all seated properly and it seemed to work but it did it again. I'm thinking it has something to do with the key,battery,starter motor or the whole key barrel it doesn't seem it is something big. I'm taking it to the holden dealer for a full check out as they should be able to find out what is happening. I'll keep all posted as to what I find out.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Clicking is often the Starter Motor protesting because of insufficient voltage being made available FROM the battery.

Craig01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 06 executive
Thanks,

Hi first time here I have the same problem I cleaned around the key barrel with very fine sand paper softly and the part on the key. I also checked the fuse box a made sure they were all seated properly and it seemed to work but it did it again. I'm thinking it has something to do with the key,battery,starter motor or the whole key barrel it doesn't seem it is something big. I'm taking it to the holden dealer for a full check out as they should be able to find out what is happening. I'll keep all posted as to what I find out.[/QUOTE]

Back again yah changed starter rely then changed starter motor all seems well. Computers won't pick up some problems you need to go back to the old way a look at or change items to find fault. The items that needed looking at for my problem was the battery, the starter rely, the starter motor, the key, the key barrel. If for some reason none of it works then it means the problem is deeper. So it was my starter $400 fitted I know I paid a bit to much but didn't have the time to save the extra money. Oh the starter is not genuine. Any way I hope this helps someone.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I have not read all the replies but I would have thought someone would have recommended a gentle tap with a hammer to the starter motor may have helped.

Often, the reason for a starter clicking can be that the brushes are jamming and not coming down onto the armature, hence the clicking because the brushes are not powering up the starter.

I purchased a second hand starter for the wife's VZ from the wreckers for $66 but did not need it because a quick tap to the faulty starter got it working, and that was in October last year and still working today.