Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Stock Headunit PIN Reset

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi All,

I was given a stock 6 stack head unit for our VZ ute project (I purchased a rolling shell - less gearbox, engine and radio). The radio I was provided came from a mates VZ - but didn't come with a PIN. I hooked up a scan tool and reprogrammed the PIN. However, when I enter the new PIN it does not accept it and starts the time out process again. I have checked the programmed security number in the BCM using the scan tool and it reads as the new PIN I entered - so why is the bloody thing not working? Technology - supposed to help isn't it?

Of course I can replace it with a modern double DIN unit; however, I am keen to preserve the old girl. Any thoughts or advice on resetting the PIN would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
So - as an update. I purchased the PIN related to the radio online and changed the number to that - no joy. I changed the number to the original PIN for the vehicle - no joy. I changed the number back to the number I want it to be and locked out for another hour. I interrogate the radio settings with the scan tool I can see the status, I can see when it changes into the security delay state. So I can definitely communicate with it using the UltraScan.

The BCM is standard ute mid spec. The index code for a ute is shown as 009 for a type one entertainment system (base level- single CD). The only real difference I can see in the wiring is a lack of spekers compared to the sedans. I can't change the index code with my scan tool so the only thing I can think of is that the type 3 entertainment system (six stack player) will only work with a high spec BCM. This seems odd though.

Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated. This one has me baffled (but I'm willing to bet that the answer is staring me in the face - I'm just too close to se it!).

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Update 2 - still perservering. I purchased a Tech 2 to diagnose some problems we are having getting the old girl to run properly and thought I would use it to change the pin. No problems went in changed the pin, tested the radio using some of the settings. Works a treat, CD player works fine all good. Until I sterted the care. Drops back to having to insert the poin. Insert the pin I changed it to - no go. Did it a couple more times and locked out. Got it up and running again using the tech 2, changed the pin - says its successful. Start te beast - drops back to requiring the PIN. Enter the changed pin - no goi. Locked out again. So where to next? Noting that I am restoring the old girst to origianl if I can - your thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Mine has a 6 stack with mid level BCM.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would suggest getting another unit with a known pin.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Thanks mate - I have checked the manual and it matches my BCM which is also Mid. I changed the code to 007 to match the 6 stacker - still no change. I will see how I go finding another one with a code..

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If you get the VIN of the car it came from you can take it to Holden and they can give you the PIN. I know you want to preserve, but if it were me I'd just ditch it and get an Aerpro facia kit and some other head unit.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is what I’m doing. (I’m keeping the factory head unit in storage this time.)
To put an aftermarket head unit in does not require butchering the harness. It’s all plug and play, so you can put it back how it was if you wanted.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
loHi RJK

If you get the VIN of the car it came from you can take it to Holden and they can give you the PIN. I know you want to preserve, but if it were me I'd just ditch it and get an Aerpro facia kit and some other head unit.

I found that and tried it - no change. The Tech 2 changes the security cade and confirms that the PIN change was successful. So I should be able to put whatever PIN I want in. I have tried the PIN that the radio had from new, the PIN that the BCM had, the PIN that the vehcile came with as new and I have changed the PIN to random numbers and no luck.

Hi Fu

This is what I’m doing. (I’m keeping the factory head unit in storage this time.)
To put an aftermarket head unit in does not require butchering the harness. It’s all plug and play, so you can put it back how it was if you wanted.

Thants a great plan - once I have a working setup I may do something similar. I am concerned that there is a BCM issue because canging the code with the TECH 2 and getting confirmation of success is met with failure each time. I think the only option I have is to guess the code at this point in time. I will see if I can find something cheap and local with a kniown code that I can play with. Then work on locating a good quality six stacker down the track if I am successful.

Thanks to both for your input.

Cheers

Jolls

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
OK - perserverence and a little progress. When I turn the od girl on she keeps asking for Code attempt 3. I have changed it to 1111 and it accepts that code but tnen comes on flashing - antenna noise indicatrs the motor is working - but has a busted mast. Just static from the radio. I can press all the buttons but nothiung changes things much except for the off button. When I turn off the ignition and then resart the car we are back to the clde attmpt 3 scenario and we go back through the same routine. Thoughts/advice?