Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Struggling to Startup?

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Lately my VZ has been having trouble starting up.
Not sure when or what caused it but for upto 10 turns of the key all i get is a single tick like its trying to start up and then nothing.
Eventually the car starts but it's getting just a little annoying now! The battery is fine so i can rule out that issue.
Any ideas or help?
New starter motor or maybe its a broken component?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Have you had a suitably qualified person (eg Auto Electrician) 'load test' your battery ? If not, suggest you consider it as otherwise you have no real way of knowing if the battery is OK or dying. Clicking usually (often) indicates low voltage

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Possibly a failed/failing relay, try swapping the starter relay with another.

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
You have a very good point with the low voltage... i do beleive it has only become a problem since installing my sub...
Maybe i should just get an electrician to diagnose the issue. Thankkss

XioiX1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 V8 Adventra
+ 1 for the auto leccy to have a look, might need a voltage regulator or something like that

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Ths sub is connected to the remote wire output cable fron the head deck so it only comes on when the radio does so that shouldnt be an issue at all

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Ths sub is connected to the remote wire output cable fron the head deck so it only comes on when the radio does so that shouldnt be an issue at all

I would suggest confirming this is working correctly and just make sure the amp is only turning on with the radio and not on all the time.

If the issue only occurred after the sub install, it would either be wiring, faulty amp (staying on all the time instead of only with remote wire) or the battery is weak and the amp draws out the power before your alternator can charge it up enough.

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Thanks guys, i think I'll get an auto sparkie to check it out. Plus iv noticed i also have one dim headlight which is abnormal especially after putting in new globes so Ill get that checked out too.
Does anyone know of any mobile electricians that could diagnose my issues for me? I work around easter creek area so if u guys know of any, let me know!

colourmesilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT1 98 SS 195i 5.0L 304 HSV ENHANCED
Swap your relays around, take all non essentials out as well