Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz strut replacement

Ben Crouch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
Wondering how hard it is to replace front struts on a vz wagon or how much I'd expect to pay a mechanic to do it.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Labour costs, including alignment you'd be looking at approximately $200...This is all dependant on the hourly rate the mechanic charges and the place charges for an alignment.

It should take no more than 1 hour to replace them.

To do the job your self, all that is required to be done, is remove the top strut nut, inside the engine bay.....

From there you have 2 nuts and bolts at the stub axle (3/4 or 19 MM and 7/8 22MM)....Prior to loosening the bolts, make sure the 8MM bolt is hard against the stub axle....

Replacement is reversal of the removal procedure....Just make sure the stub axle is hard against the strut, prior to tightening the nuts and bolts up....This 8MM nut is used to adjust the camber, so making sure it is hard against the strut before loosing the nuts and tightening, should ensure the cambers stay close to what they were

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wondering how hard it is to replace front struts on a vz wagon or how much I'd expect to pay a mechanic to do it.

I paid $60 each side for labour on my VR ute, VZ would be similar. That included breaking the unit down and fitting new top components.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I paid $60 each side for labour on my VR ute, VZ would be similar. That included breaking the unit down and fitting new top components.

Yes VR's are the same as VZ's in this area....So that's a good price guide for the OP :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes VR's are the same as VZ's in this area....So that's a good price guide for the OP :)

I have also paid $80 for one side once at a different mech, after I hit a hole in the road and had to replace the strut top. But yeah allow $60 - $80 each side as some mech's are not as fast as others.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Very straight forward if your mechanical minded and have the tools, no need for a wheel alignment unless you have new tyres as long as you do as vc said with the 8mm bolt pressed against the strut before doing up the bottom bolts.
To do it you will need a pair of coil spring clamps you can get them for 25 on ebay, just take note when removing it to which order it goes back in.
If you want a mechanic to do it pick up the phone and get quotes around your area.

Ben Crouch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
$200 sounds cheap one guy told me $700, im in the middle of nowhere too so that doesnt help.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
$200 won't include parts. $700 you would expect it to include parts. Parts are probably close to $500, a little less if you buy your own.