Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ struts in a VS

ZAC8200

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS S2 Equipe
Hey all,
Im just wondering if its possible at all to install VZ struts into a VS commodore?
Also what components would be needed to make it all work together?
any response would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
No problems at all with that one. Many years ago I bought a set of brand new Ex HSV set of struts that they remove and replace with their upgraded units and fitted them straight into my VS. The only issue was that the valving in those struts were to suit a V8 and mine was a 6 cylinder, thus it's a tad harder in the front end. The only thing you'll have to do is use your original springs and strut top mounts opposed to the VZ ones which are totally different. If you are using 6 cylinder VZ units into a 6 cylinder VS you shouldn't encounter any issues whatsoever.

Cheers.

ZAC8200

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS S2 Equipe
ah okay, so they're a straight swap. will they be compatible with the balljoint link pin style? and I'm not too fussed about how harsh the ride is at the moment. I thought vs and vz strut mounts were the same as well?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The link pin set up isn't an issue....The ball end goes through the sway bar on the VZ, and not at the strut end.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
The link pin set up isn't an issue....The ball end goes through the sway bar on the VZ, and not at the strut end.

The VZ sway bar links are indeed a double ball joint. The attach both to the sway bar and the strut via ball joints.
Pretty sure they were changed to this configuration after VY series II.

ZAC8200

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS S2 Equipe
will i need to substitute my stock sway bar for a vz one?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi Guys,

I've just realised that the struts I put into my VS were in fact VY and not VZ. Looking at a VZ strut it won't work as the stabiliser link mount is totally different and a VZ sway bar won't fit into a VS.
Sorry about that.

ZAC8200

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS S2 Equipe
Hi Guys,

I've just realised that the struts I put into my VS were in fact VY and not VZ. Looking at a VZ strut it won't work as the stabiliser link mount is totally different and a VZ sway bar won't fit into a VS.
Sorry about that.

I've been told that the VZ struts can actually be used in a VS commodore, with the change of a couple of parts, is this true or in fact a myth? I've been told it's a better setup

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Can you use the ball joint links on the vs then?