Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 2005 - Idling

Nuhaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 2005
Hey Guys,

The VZ has got some idling issues. Noticed, the more I drove and the engine was heated up, every time I stopped at a colour light or similar the car would just shake or idle.

Changed spark plugs, new manifold gasket and coil packs. Any idea what it could be?

Thanks guys

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Maybe the coolant sensor isn't reading right?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Try and clean the throttle body,
Check the IAC valve,
Vacuum leak on any perished hoses?
Check Spark Plug Leads
Check and clean the spark plugs, also make note of the condition of the spark plug when you pull them out, that’s can always be a telltail sign.
Process of elimination I think.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Gotta be careful cleaning the throttle body. No IAC on them either I don’t think. Sometimes solvents get into the motor and board etc inside the throttle body.
Good to put some throttle body cleaner soaked on a rag and wipe it clean, rather than the old way of spraying the cleaner in and flushing the muck out.

Good points above. Modern complex engines and their systems are focused on more than the basics of old school mechanics. We forget the. ASIC things we used to do when we had problems.

If you replace a coolant sensor on a whim, it’s going to require a bleed of the coolant after. Just look on eBay or get in touch with your local Holden dealer.

A tech2 plugged in will tell you how the coolant sensor is going with live data available.