Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 Advice

dannyabela23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 manual
i currently own an impulse vz sv6 manual, gotta say its one of the best cars i have owned so far and has been very reliable. my currents mods are are 2.5 inch from cat back, twin centre mufflers and single rear muffler. would not have any idea what brand it is as it was already there when i purchased the car. would love something better though!!
my sound system is completly stock, have a 12 inch alpine sub in the boot powered by an 2ch 450 pioneer amp. puts out more than enough bass!!
as for the wheels, im currently rolling on 20inch ve gts and have had no dramas what so ever.
sounds like the guys are recommending the two hole mods, while mine is standard, would like to know more about this, how its done and for what price.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Im not really a fan of after market head units in these model commodores, i think they just look out of place. Unless you went with like a DVD screen head unit of some sort, but if you like that one, then go with it.

dannyabela23, search around for 2 hole mod thread got all the info you need. May even be in the FAQ section?

jamiemack89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SV6
Yeah I dont want it to look out of place; only reason Im considering changing the stock HU is because of the worn buttons and I need an ipod connection.

Would something like this look better? as it would use both slots. (CDE-W203E)

CDE-W203E.jpg

My mate says there is no point installing 6x9's in the rear if I have a sub because there would be too much bass (couldn't you adjust the levels?) so have no idea now what im going to put in speaker wise - probably just the standard 6 and a half's & splits at the front and 6's in the rear with a bit of extra cash to spend on the sub. If anyone would like to suggest a speaker setup that works for them Im open to suggestions. Got a while to think about it anyway... no point rushing

Last edited:

84dez

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
jamie u in my town redlands, go an talk to the guys at men at work he will look after just say u know 84dez and he should give u a nice exhaust, if u want we can meet up and i can show u my setup. as i have one of the pod systems u have plus the manifold insulators from mace.

sounds systems are hard to go buy id go talk to craig at autobarn (great guy no bull crap), depends on how much u wanna spend i had all eclispe gear in my VS and dam was so nice. but yeah talk to craig autobarn capalaba look for specials and always ask if thats the best price they can do(as they will always better it if they want ur money).

witht he 6x9s it will be to much bass unless u take all the bass out of the 6x9 (but then not much use, id say nice set of spits as u already have em from standard so all the wiring is there u can leave rear speakers stock as u rarely ever have people in back so why change unless broken, and then just get a nice 12inch sub, 15 is to big and 10 is not to small but not enough power for what im guessing u want.

and for like 650 u can get a cool touch screen DVD player with ipod, but u also wanna spend some more on getting one that has a ipod control so u dont have to change the song on the ipod u change it with the head unit or with the stearing wheel controls if u get the attachment to make them work.

big read but has lotsa info
ive had 3 sound systems in my three car before my vz and all were based off sound quality not just how many parts of the car u can vibrate.

Nitronic_12

Loser of the loser flyby
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Wagon
Yeah going to order the Mace one today, shouldn't be that difficult to install as they are sending me out a CD that guides me through the process :) and not as expensive as the Growler Kit...

Anyone know of a decent place to get the above exhaust system in Brisbane (Redlands Area). Also if you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for yours Fishman88?

Growler is know to not be as good on a v6 as to a v8. It causes torque loss. And thats not what you want when spending 300.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
Where could I pick up some VZ calais headlights and tailights? - I assume the VZ SS ones are the same?
UPDATE: Found a VZ SS pair on ebay, not sure if I can get tailights though. A forum post a while back mentions you can get headlights directly from Holden for $170 - not sure if they will still stock them though...

yeah ss h/l's are the same as calais but you wont get them for $170,
they're like $400 each.

here is a link for calais/ss/ hsv lights

HSV VYorVZ/CLUBSPORT R8/ MALOO-GEN HEADLIGHTS ALL NEW - eBay, Other Car Parts, Accessories, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 03-Jun-09 08:07:56 AEST)

there was a couple of others on there but depending on where you live and what condition you want.

as for stereo, if you go for a sub there is no reason to go for 6x9's

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
based off sound quality not just how many parts of the car u can vibrate.

to me the more parts that vibrate, the better the sound system! :D

When i upgrade my speakers in the next week or two, ill be keeping the current speaker setup, and just upgrading the speakers. It doesnt have 6x9s and i dont need them with the sub(as said). So 6.5" splits up front, and some decent 6" coaxils in the rear doors i believe?

I know of a very nice looking DVD dcreen headunit you might like, ill try and find it again.

Fishman88

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais 190KW A5 CHE TUNED
Yeah going to order the Mace one today, shouldn't be that difficult to install as they are sending me out a CD that guides me through the process :) and not as expensive as the Growler Kit...

Anyone know of a decent place to get the above exhaust system in Brisbane (Redlands Area). Also if you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for yours Fishman88?

The whole system cost me $1800 and so worth it imo!! looks good in the engine bay and sounds tuff!! and if u stand at the bak of ur car next to da rear muffler u can hear a lil rumble quiet nice just wat i wanted witout goin catbak.

jamiemack89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SV6
I know of a very nice looking DVD dcreen headunit you might like, ill try and find it again.

Yeah that would be great, keep me updated as still struggling with the HU.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
go onto the Pioneer australia website and look at their headunits. Theres a nice DVD screen unit thats double-din and nice blue highlights. im not sure what shops supply it however. Dont be scared by the RRP, even autobarn ripoff prices are usually cheaper that the sites, so i doubt it will cost you that much.

Although, if you go single-din, i have a very nice head unit for sale? works perfect, only selling because i decided to stick with the stock unit in my VZ.