Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 Advice

jamiemack89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SV6
Hey guys,

Just bought a Impulse Blue SV6 ('05) 2 weeks ago and looking to do some mods. Its my first car so have limited experience in DIY mods however for the speakers have got a mate who can help me out.

First of all - CAI:
I've heard the K&N air filter and the 2 hole mod works well together however was wondering on everyones opinion of the following:

COLD AIR INTAKE KIT VZ V8 LS1 GENIII "STEALTH" NEW - eBay Air Filters, Induction Kits, Performance Parts, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 31-May-09 22:08:22 AEST)

COLD AIR INTAKE TO SUIT HOLDEN VZ V6 - eBay Air Filters, Induction Kits, Performance Parts, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 12-Jun-09 20:20:00 AEST)

or perhaps the SS Inductions Growler Kit but from what Ive heard this is overpriced for the gains you get...

Second - Exhaust
Pacemakers, highflow cats and twin 2.5" lukey exhaust? Not too experienced in this area so any help appreciated! - what sounds the best?

Third - Rims
The Monaro CV8R/VE SS ones look pretty sweet, any suggestions?

Fourth - Sound System
What setup suits this car? Will be getting a sub so probably not worth getting 6x9's in the parcel shelf. From what Ive heard Pioneer speakers are the way to go but what HU? - want to maintain a stock look so doesnt look out of place and need iPod connection/usb

Going to tint-a-car on the w/e to get tinted (Midnight Express). Also my insurance is with Aami, is there any limitations to what mods I install/how many considering Im under 25 (will be on opens in 6 months).

EDIT: Emailed Aami and there is no longer a limit on how many mods I can have - as long as I inform them they can insure accessories. :D

Thanks for your help!

3569412298_12a9b4da83.jpg

Last edited:

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
1: I would just go with the upgraded panel filter and 2 hole mod. Seems to work fine, never heard a bad thing about them. The two ebay links you put up seem ok, but i personally couldnt justify the money for such a simple mod. I cant see the gains being much more, if any, over the 2 hole mod.

2: Sorry cant help with exhaust. My SV6 is an auto and this has put me off looking into an exhaust too seriously as i find they always seem to sound very droany on autos. In saying that, i actually havent heard an auto SV6 with an exhaust yet so they could sound nice? If however you have the 6 speed, you shouldnt have to worry about this.

3: Im chasing a set of VY senator signatures as i think they look amazing. I cant even recall what those rims look like that you mentioned so cant say how they'd look. But i have seen a blue VZ on VE SSV's with a thin white wall and it looked VERY nice.

4: Cant tell what state your in cause you blocked out the plates, but you should look into Phreddys head unit mod. He's in NSW but he does trips to other major cities. You get to keep the stock head unit, and still hook up a monoblock(sub) and a 2 or 4 channel amp(speakers).

I currently have a 2000W mono amp powering a 15" 2000W sub, and it thunders! If you just want a nice little setup, you shouldnt need anything like that though. A nice off the shelf 12" sub should do the trick. Your local autobarn ect should be able to recommend specifics based on your budget. As for speakers, im in the market myself so cant help as of yet sorry.

Hope that all helps!

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
EDIT: Emailed Aami and there is no longer a limit on how many mods I can have - as long as I inform them they can insure accessories. :D

thats interesting, i may just do a little more to mine.

You should go for the ve ss wheels, yes a few of them getting around but they look good.

another thing you should look into is VZ calais headlights thats what i'm gonna do very shortly.

Nayla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Clubsport R8
Well for sound system .. i have installed 6 and a half's & splits at the front and 6x9's in the rear .. with a type r sub woofer .. all alpine ..
i must say its extremely loud round the 90db mark .. enough to hurt your ears ( exact same effect after leaving a club but only after 3 minutes :D) powered by two amp's.

you said you wanted to keep the stock look, as did i =p .. so i installed myself a lc7i which enables you to power all your system and
keep your stock head unit (come's with a ipod connection)

once i installed this, along with my sound deadening foam in the boot .. people tend to stare, but wonder how you make all this sound :p

as for no 6x9's LOL .. if you want a balanced sound system go for those, people in your back seat will love you for it :p

Nayla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Clubsport R8
1:

I currently have a 2000W mono amp powering a 15" 2000W sub, and it thunders! If you just want a nice little setup, you shouldnt need anything like that though. A nice off the shelf 12" sub should do the trick. Your local autobarn ect should be able to recommend specifics based on your budget. As for speakers, im in the market myself so cant help as of yet sorry.

Hope that all helps!

hehe my mate installed the pioneer 15" sub .. he cracked his rear windscreen .. take care :p

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I heard those adapter things pick up a hissing sound or something, whats your experience with them? The mod i have, is actually built into the head unit, cost a bit, but i feel it does/would do a better job that using an adapter. In saying that, i never got a chance to hear someone using one before deciding against it.

I dont know if i should be happy, or scared by the rear windscreen comment haha. I havent had anything like that YET, but it does hurt your chest in the front seats even at 3/4 volume. Have tested on a quiet night, and distance it could be heard was 1-2km+ i think.(or 5-6 streets away).

Nayla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Clubsport R8
sorry for off topic, but i have come across this hissing sound (sounds like a supercharger) with my lc7i.. but this was because my battery was dying (did actually die 2 days later) .. got a new one .. never come across it again (over 1.5 years so far)

Exidor

I come in peace.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Used Martian spacecraft
VE wheels

Careful with installing VE wheels on a VZ or earlier.
Holden claim this is dangerous!
Something to do with a smaller surface contact area
between the wheel and rotor face after machining.
Also VE wheel studs are a larger diameter.
Probably less surface area again.
:thumbsup:

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
its modify the originals, or get cheap fakes. There is probably some truth to the that claim by Holden, but im sure if it was too serious, i would've heard at least one disaster story. Ive heard/seen many in elation to copies.

Also, one of the main reasons Holden changed the setup on the new models such as wheels and body designs was to stop people doing this, so they'll say anything to try and stop people doing it.

To the original poster, are you certain you want Holden rims, or are you looking into aftermarket aswell. How big do you want to go?

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual

Are you sure they said mods and not accessories because mods and accessories are 2 completely different things