Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 - Auto Transmission

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
is the auto gearbox DESIGNED to be a noisy whining piece of ****?

ive just got a brand new vz sv6 and the auto is disgusting!!!!

Adventra LX6

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX6 Adventra
Sounds like you have a problem! The 5 speed auto in mine is great, smooth and quiet

BobT

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
Yep, you got a problem! Just be careful it's not the tyres you are listening to. The Potenzas can be quite noisy when new. You will notice them when you come to a rolling stop at lights. That's just what you get with performance tyres. At speed they are fine.

vzsv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8
Noisy 5 speed autos

I drove and rejected 3 SV6's (all new) which had a pronounced noise on acceleration. The second dealer admitted that they all made the same noise, to different degrees. The solution was easy, my wife said that so would not live with that much noise and suggested I buy the V8. I always do what my wife tells me :yeah:
Seriously though, I does suggest that the 5 speed has a problem.

00belly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hmm interesting, i've done 16k in mine and the transmission has been quiet as a mouse as far as i can tell. Can you describe the noise you heard vzsv8? Only sound i'm sure i get under acceleration is the induction but i'll pay more attention.

Adventra LX6

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX6 Adventra
I could be wrong but it was my understanding that this 5 speed auto had been around for a while overseas, and had proved to be reliable smooth and quiet.

00belly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Correct, BMW have used the GM 5l40-e in the 3 & 5 series.

vzsv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8
That acceleration noise

The noise on acceleration could have been an induction roar but it sounded like a bearing to my ears. It was however very sensitive to the amount of accelerator being used. The bottom line however was that the 190Kw V6 was MUCH noisier than my wifes 4 year old VX lumina (also a V6), to the extent that I could not buy the car. The local dealer commented that all the alloytechs were noisier than the previous model and a lot of customers had commented on it.
It really comes down to personal opinion.

Crofty

'Animul' Boy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX LUMINA S2
Hmm - My dads SV6 makes a sort of whiney noise starting off but goes into a quiet smooth ride when it gets going... Just when starting it makes a noticable noise - quite more noticable then the prior VX..

-crofty

BobT

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
Crofty

It's the tires. You'll notice it rolling with the engine off. As you say, it goes away as soon as you pick up speed.