Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 Engine taping sound

btc1678

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hey just a quick question guys. The new SV6 has got a cross between a taping and ticking sound coming from the engine on start up and low revs. Its got under 3000kms on the clock. Is this normal or any ideas on what it could be. Having the 3000km service done next week anything I should be getting them to look at.

Thanks

Ben.

jaisvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SV6
my sv6 is @ 30,000k's and it is starting to do it. The sound is kind of like the 90-95 magna's. I am assuming it's because of the use of a timing chain, not a belt...
any one else got any light to shed on this matter?

vy-346

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T 6A & VH-ZXA
Does it go away when it warms up? Because the heatshield taps on the exhaust when they are cold and makes a loud tapping noise.

btc1678

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Does it go away when it warms up? Because the heatshield taps on the exhaust when they are cold and makes a loud tapping noise.

Yep pretty much just when I start it up and then driving at low speed till it warms up. So probably the heatsheild then hey.

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
I have the same thing, I think it is a normal warm up procedure and should go away when engine is at full operating temp.

nigel

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz storm ute
noise

Have 2005 storm, had same issue, holden gave me a new engine, I had done only 1300km, they said it was a knowen fault, I had to whing a lot, take no ****. Told them it was embarrasing to drive.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hmmmmm - That's funny, 'coz I had the same thing with my SV6 in the early days. (well, I think it's the same thing - it's a slow "tick-tick-tick" at idle speed or low revs. Too much time between the ticks to be a valve issue I reckon, but I agree it could be the timing chain) Only when started up first thing in the morning, and only until the engine got up to normal temp.

Anyway, I was about to go to Holden about it, and it simply stopped happening. (it came on at about the 3000K mark and hung around until about 6-7000K) Hasn't happened since, and there's been no other issues whatsoever.

(although now when I'm idling with the AC on, there is a slight rattle which sounds a lot like that heat shield issue...)

Anyhow, for what it's worth.... If you're terribly concerned about it, I reckon if you make enough noise Holden might come to the party. (like I did about my gearbox...) ;)

Cheerz!

Blue-VZSSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Sedan
Holden use a Mobil oil SAE 10W/30 SL GF-3 oil which has a habit of draining away from the Hydraulic lifters after overnight stops as it is light oil. This needs to pump back at restarts and gain pressure through a very small pin hole i.e. till warms up, I have found after years of working on (x mechanic) and owning Holden’s that a good Synthetic oil SAE 20W50 would fix the problem. I found this again when I got my new VZ SS V8 in 2004. I now allow them to do the 10-20,000km services and supply them with the oil as well as doing my own every 5000km with oil filter (I know a little over the top) but one of the quietest and cleanest V8 motors around.

Blue-VZSSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Sedan
If your concerned you can run a SAE 10W/40 with no worries at all, for a motor with a few more Kms on them 20W/50 would work well.