Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 fuel pump relay only getting 2.4 volts

Kaoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon executive(ex cop car), 3.8 ecotec/4l60e
Hey guys, Ive recently run into an issue where the car won't start and Ive narrowed it down to a fuel pump relay issue. The power trying to go to the fuel pump is 12 volts but the power trying to switch on the relay has low voltage or so says the computer, it's giving me around 2.4 volts and nothing more, was wondering if there's and easy fix for this as I just swapped the ecu and don't want to do it again.

Edit: when I crank the engine it only gives me about 10 volts to the pump.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
When you changed the ECM, was it new? Was it VIN matched?

If it was used? Did you swap the key head, PIM, BCM and EXM as a set?

Kaoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
It was second hand and I changed the Ecm, PIM, BCM and Exm and the key head, it was a set from another car that was working fine. I can hear the fuel pump running but the throttle body is making a loud clicking noise all the time and says it's at 15% throttle when the computer wants it to be at 5%, could that be the issue? When I took the intake pipe off and turned the engine to accessories the throttle body tried to shut all the way, made an electronic hi pitched noise and opened to 15% and stays there.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Can you take a photo of the fuel pump relay pin you are checking?

When I get home, I might be able to post a wiring diagram for you. It might not be a constant 5v at that pin.

The throttle body thing is acceptable for now. It might need a recalibration once the car runs. It might also sort itself out with a few start cycles.

Kaoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay cheers mate, and yeah ill grab a pic in a sec. ive power probed the pump pin and fuel level sender pin at the rear of the car and the sender is getting the normal low voltage but the fuel pump pin is only getting 12 volts when i bridge the relay with some wire. i cant hear the pump when i start the car but sometimes it starts up fine, idles for a bit and then idles like crap then dies and i cant give it any throttle input.

Kaoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
I bridge the two left pins with a bit of wire and some spade connectors and i do the same to the top and bottom on the right.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 108
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 115

Kaoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just got this after alot of stuffing around, scanned it again after that and most of the sensors say low voltage.

Attachments

• IMG20201201193633.jpg
    IMG20201201193633.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited: