Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 losing power

Allee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Yesterday I left the shops, turned left and somewhere between the top of the hill and the bottom, I lost power to the car which was only noticeable when I went to turn the corner and was met with dead weight. Went to turn car back on and it just kept cranking but not firing up. Tried a couple of times but nothing doing. Took key out and waited and still nope.

The RAC come out and jumpstarted as battery was a little low. Battery and the alternator were tested cos both newish and they tested fine. Car started and seemed fine until I went to take off where made it half way out car bay before car stopped and refused to start at all. RAC then done a scan for codes but nothing was showing up. Tow truck was organised to take it home.

Attach our own scanner which is admittedly a cheapy job and a heap of codes come up which was weird considering RAC's come up blank.

At one stage while trying to start it up at home, the speedo went up to max speed, alerts come up with overspeed and brakes- the car was stationery at the time. The times I did get the car started, it would run for about 5 minutes before it would just conk out again.

I know it's impossible to diagnose from a post but has anyone else had this issue or any idea what it could relate to ie electrical, etc.

PS, did swap out the fuel pump relay and fuel pump is only around 6 months old

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
In a basic sense, a car only needs three things to run, fuel, spark and air. My guess is fuel related, get the RAC back and ask them to check fuel supply and pressure when key is on. Also with the weird electrical issues, check for good connections at the battery, alternator and grounds.

Jozzi3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore executive
Yesterday I left the shops, turned left and somewhere between the top of the hill and the bottom, I lost power to the car which was only noticeable when I went to turn the corner and was met with dead weight. Went to turn car back on and it just kept cranking but not firing up. Tried a couple of times but nothing doing. Took key out and waited and still nope.

The RAC come out and jumpstarted as battery was a little low. Battery and the alternator were tested cos both newish and they tested fine. Car started and seemed fine until I went to take off where made it half way out car bay before car stopped and refused to start at all. RAC then done a scan for codes but nothing was showing up. Tow truck was organised to take it home.

Attach our own scanner which is admittedly a cheapy job and a heap of codes come up which was weird considering RAC's come up blank.

At one stage while trying to start it up at home, the speedo went up to max speed, alerts come up with overspeed and brakes- the car was stationery at the time. The times I did get the car started, it would run for about 5 minutes before it would just conk out again.

I know it's impossible to diagnose from a post but has anyone else had this issue or any idea what it could relate to ie electrical, etc.

PS, did swap out the fuel pump relay and fuel pump is only around 6 months old
Could be the ball on the remote key where it touches, ignition ring might need replacing I have to push key into the ring n turn for it to start that's one of my problems with my car

Allee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thanks Jozzi3. I thought I had that issue last year so I got a new key and fob programmed. Turned out the problem was car battery but the cranking but not firing was happening then too.

Allee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thanks 99not out. Fuel issues seemed to be what RAC guy thought too. Not sure I can get them out to test but certainly worth looking into as is the electrical connections. Seems like can just continue throwing money at it and never getting anywhere!

Jozzi3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore executive
Thanks Jozzi3. I thought I had that issue last year so I got a new key and fob programmed. Turned out the problem was car battery but the cranking but not firing was happening then too.
I'm having similar issues I'm thinking injectors might need cleaning or some kind of fuel block my commy is a bad liar when comes to distance till empty one minute it will say 5ks till empty il pull up go on a bit of an angle, then start again drive off and will read 40 ks till empty

Allee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Yeah mine does that too. The times it's said 0km to empty and there's at least half a tank. I thought once fuel pump and sender was replaced it would be sorted out but yeah nah :(

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Faulty BCM?