Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 - Oil filter cap difficult to unscrew

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Gave the 2004 VZ SV6 a filter and oil change recently. Went to remove the screw cap from the oil filter body and as usual it was very tight. Over the years the cap has always been very hard to undo as I usually torqued it to 25nm as per the manual. I had torqued the cap to 18nm at the last oil change approx. six months earlier, to see if the release effort was reduced. The removal effort this time was still excessive. I now wonder if the moulded nut could shear away from the casting. I have a high capacity torque wrench and slowly stepped it up until the cap released. It finally released the cap at 90 ft/lbs about 126nm. About 5 times above the tightening specification. The thread on the cap is relieved to let oil gain access to the threaded section. Is the cap thread stretching over time and should it be replaced? This self tightening action seems a recipe for the cap failing at some time down the track, especially if fatigue cracks start and are not noticed. Should the cap be nipped at eg 5nm -10nm? I guess Holden technicians see this fairly often with the VZ and VE Alloytecs. Does anyone know of a fix for this problem ? Otherwise is the only solution to fit a new filler cap and/or filter body?

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
I serviced a friends car twice the first time I had too get the rattle gun out too remove his housing, next time it came off okay.. ive never torqe the housing down,replace o ring every time. Yes they have been known too strip the hex nut off due too clowns tightening too hard up. Make sure your sitting down when you enquire regarding replacement price lots off dollars , im not sure but hundreds I think

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
I wouldn't be using a torque/power wrench on such a 'delicate' object for fear of destroying it. It pays to put a smear of oil around the new rubber seal when replacing filter. But I guess you already know that. My tip, correct (exact)( size socket with a nice long bar. Try gentle pressure first them try a sharp tap/smack with the palm of your hand on the end of the extension bar.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Maybe some vas on the threads??

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
Or anti-seize on the cap threads

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I had to use a impact wrench to get mine off last service i did, let the car cool down completely before trying and could not get it off, let it sit overnight and it would still not budge, even with 2 people and a long breaker bar.

I used the impact wrench just enough to unloosen it, then used my normal socket to undo it and re-do it up later, i also put fresh oil on the o-ring before reinstall, lets hope the next time, i wont need the impact wrench.

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
There a **** ####in design, i ended up getting from the wreckers another filter cap and housing as a spare just incase the nut snaps off

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
I serviced a friends car twice the first time - I had too get the rattle gun out too remove his housing, next time it came off okay.. ive never torqe the housing down,replace o ring every time. Yes they have been known too strip the hex nut off due too clowns tightening too hard up. Make sure your sitting down when you enquire regarding replacement price lots off dollars , im not sure but hundreds I think

Hi Loopie,
I rang the Holden dealer this week and the price of the screw-in cap was about $120. Don't know what the professionals do to release the hot cap as yet. I had put my car in for a filter/oil change when the motor was hot at 8.00am and taken it from the workshop at 9.00am, (all oil/filter change work done as per the handbook - ?). No way the filter assembly had cooled down.
So, is there a solution out there that is not being publicised?

8 June 2013
I have done some reading about a phenomenon known as "Galling".
I have attached a Wikipedia address which tends to describe what may be going on with the HFV6 alloytec oil filter cap.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

Does this identify the frozen cap problem?
Some writings suggest using a thread lubricant - using various metal compounds. There are many references to aluminium galling and it appears the choice of metal may be the problem. What happens if the thread lubricant gets into the moving parts of the engine at high RPM and operating temperatures?
Perhaps an entrepreneurial tuning shop could make a brass filler cap to overcome the problem? How many could they sell to us Holden owners?

Last edited:

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
easily fixed,, back in 70s we had the same issue with the Honda 750 ( BIKE) oil filter bolt stripping its head(rounding) weld a spare socket on a new bolt then every time you changed the filter no problem, so im thinkin once its off weld a socket on it it will help in remove all... not sure on metal mismatch over tightening by rock ape mechanics I think

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Why would you need to let it cool down ? It would probably be easier to take it off while its hot and the housing below is expanded slightly. Was there any corrosion or rough surfaces on the threads ?