Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 or VY S?

Rumba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I am looking at buying either a vy 2 or a VZ SV6 but not sure which one to go for. I wanted to get a VZ even though it costs more because it has the extra power but i have been told you can't really notice the power difference? and also that the VZ will cost me and arm and a leg for servicing cost apparently its really unreliable, especially one that has done 200K+??? could someone please help me out in this decision :/

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
have you taken either for a test drive?

Rumba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
not yet! still thinking :/ i should probably take one for a test drive soon but i just wanted to see what people thought

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Firstly whats your budget?
The power difference is negligible for me I went a VZ as I got a good deal, liked the shape better and the VZ has a 6 speed manual rather than the 5 speed in the VY.
If they've been serviced and taken care for properly you shouldn't have any problems with costly services or being unreliable.

Rumba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Its my first car so i kinda want to spend around the 5K mark but thats gonna be hard, most like around 6.5k. See i'm the same i like the shape of the VZ more and all the VZs around that price have about 200,000km or more on them which i'm not sure is a bad thing? just worried mate cos i love my holdens, i've had a vx all this time and i want to move up :)

dutchysute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu S II
you say your first car so I'm guessing your a p plater?

I have a 6 speed manual vz ute, motor has been nothing but problems. unless your gonna granny it id say vy!

Rumba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
yeah mate i'm a p-plater, green p-plater though. Couldn't get one for a while :/ ahh see thats the problem, some people are saying vz is not that bad if its taken care of, others say its hopeless, but then vy wouldn't have much power in it. The vy S engine is exactly the same as my vx lumina 152kw

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
Yeh mate

Get a VY aye, them Ecotecs IMO are better than the alloytecs, also to get the alloytec moving you really have to rev them past 3000rpm whereas the Ecotecs get moving straightaway...... Yeh i would also go manual if it was up too me

Straya!

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL Brock Director
5-6.5 for a S or sv6?...you're dreaming, unless you're looking at some beaten up piece of crap.

DavesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Keep the lumina, there not bad cars. 2 years on green P's should be loads enough to save up for an 8. Unless you wanna stay with the v6 -.-

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2