Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz sv6 paint repair and correction

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
well i was given the task of fixing up my little sisters car. she was quoted $1k to repair her bonnet so me and my mate decided we would have a crack at it first, whats the worst we could do lol. now i got the car of my sis nearly 3 months ago and havent really had the time to work on it till lately. there isnt any before pics of the whole car as it was fairly neat looking just full of deep swrils.....say no to green scourers!!!! her boyfriend decided to get the bugs and tar off with one :(

anyways here are what the bad stone chips looked like
IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

so we first sanded back the edges of the chips and in doing that removed the surface rust too.
IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

next it was masked off
IMG_0118.jpg

using an air brush we sprayed some primer and rubbed it back smooth. this was done a couple of times as we kept cutting threw as we didnt want any imperfections in it or to leave it too thick.
IMG_0119.jpg

next we got out little touch up pot of 2 pak paint which was $20 from paint shop and started to put some colour down with the air brush.
IMG_0121.jpg

this is where we discovered the paint wasnt a close match :( and the project laid dormant for the next 3 weeks. after getting some more time just before xmas i got some more 2 pak matched by a local panel shop and we got back into it again. after rubbing back the last lot of paint we tried again and after a few words of advice from the panel shop we tried to spray it wet which is an effort with an airbrush. end results were a bit disapointing. this saw a silver ring around the repair which stood out like dogs balls. out came the wet n dry again and off it came.

after having xmas off to think about a plan of attack we decided to hook in again on the 2nd of jan. we wet sanded and buffed up the bonnet (sorry we didnt get any pics) to remove all the scratches from the green scourer. after that we roughed up the clear again and pulled out the normal spray gun hoping to blend it better. WIN!! job came out good so on to clear coat we went.
IMG_0244.jpg

after 3 coats of colour and 3 coats of clear this is what we were left with.
IMG_0245.jpg

now the fun really began.the next day (3rd jan) we started wet sanding to remove the orange peel. damn this clear is alot harder then the holden clear. after many hours of sanding the buffer came out with the lake country foamed wool pad and meguiar's 105. after 7 passes we were happy with the out come.
IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

now for the rest of the car.
the paint got done on rotary with lake country foamed wool pad and meguiar's 105 then menzerna 85u on white festool pad. some spots copped a couple of passes with the m105 and wet sanding where needed.. only got pics down the drivers side from when i worked on it before xmas as i was a bit under the pump yesterday to get the car done so i could return i today.
IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

there was alot more sanding done on the lower parts of the doors but couldnt get any good pics :(

some after wash down
IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

plus the done bonnet pics above.

car has had some dg 601 + 105 applied and ill get some pics this morning of it in the sun before i head off to sydney and drop it off to her on the way.

Budmulla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Man you have done an awesome job, i bet your sis will be impressed!

I have been having my first go at doing some touch ups and i have been using my airbrush and i was interested to know what you meant by painting it wet??

What do you think the main difference was with the other paint gun... could get it on a lil thicker??

Yeah anyway awesome work and thanks for the write up... i have learnt a lot!

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
Thanks dude.

What i ment with spraying wet was if I spray normally with the brush it looks dry straight away on the panel rather then wet looking. This causes a silver ring around the outside of the painted section, not sure why but guess it's from the silver metallic. It was also very hard to blend aswell. Moved onto the conventional gun and it cam out wet and was easy to blend. If you are doing a solid colour it should be easier then the metallics. If it is just tiny stone chips I'd just use a brush and sand off the excess

Budmulla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Ahh, i thought thats what you might have meant about painting it wet, i ended up really pulling the hammer back on the airbrush and i could get some to go on wet looking.... it was a lot smoother in those wet sections.

I have been trying to get the stone chips totally gone, and have even bogged a few with some spot filler and a razor blade... so far they are turning out ok.

Gave my rig a final sand yesterday before the polish goes on today.

Will post some pics later.

So what did ya sister reckon of ya job?

Gotta be worth a carton or two!

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
Yeah my sis was over the moon with how it turned out. She won't be getting me any grog instead she got me some tools I wanted and bought my make some air brush stencils for our efforts