Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 Problems #3

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Ok yes, another problem thread by me. :whistling

In my other Problem threads, my problems seem to be shared by many others, whereas these i think might be a bit more of, my own bad luck and not a commodore thing.
Here goes anyway...

Problem #1:

After starting my stereo install earlier in the week, i had to remove my rear passenger-side door trim. When doing this, i took out the electrical window switch, among other things. Now when removing my window switch, it fell to pieces in my hands......

Im lost as to how it goes back together, and if I even found all the pieces. Pic below shows the parts i managed to find:
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/236/img4924n.jpg
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/4977/img4925l.jpg

Problem #2:

I just noticed tonight while working in the back of my car at night, that the rear drivers side interior light doesnt turn on when the interior lights are switched on. As in, when the switch for the light in in the middle, it doesnt come on with the rest, but when turned on permanently by itself, it comes on. I hope that best explains it, if anyone isnt sure what i mean, let me know and ill try to be more specific.

Problem #3:

The large panel that covers the rear of my drivers seat seems to be partly broken. It appears the two clip thingos at the top have somehow been snapped off. Im assuming this part is inserted by pushing the broken clips up and then clipping the bottom into place. Question is, is this right, or how do i take this panel off to try and repair it?
Pic to help show what i mean:
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9624/img4926.jpg
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7306/img4927c.jpg

jaisvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SV6
same thing happened to me mate
looks like your missing two small white lugs that go into the back of the switch that push those gold colored contact rockers.
Pretty easy to put back together if you have those, but missing you will never get it working again.
I recommend going to holden and ordering a new one, think they are about 20 bucks. No big deal.

With your rear interior light, it sounds like , either: the wiring is back to front in the switch, or there is a short or earthing problem in the wiring.

As for your third problem, i have never seen this happen before! I have seen plenty of map pockets half torn off, but the whole panel is a first for me! You may have just find an alternative way to screw it down... or buy a new one.

84dez

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
seen it like that mine happen goto holden with it and get new clips for the one at the pack of the seat not sure about the others

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
With the rear window switch, may look at just getting a replacement from the wreckers. Do VY switches fit? only problem with this is, ive had the Phreddy lighting mods done, so ill have to re solder the blue LED into the new switch.....

Anyway i can tell by looking at the rear interior light, to tell if wiring is mixed up? Not too cluey when it comes to that. :p

As for the rear panel on the drivers seat. Does anyone know how it actually comes off? So i can repair it and put it back in.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
With the rear window switch, may look at just getting a replacement from the wreckers. Do VY switches fit? only problem with this is, ive had the Phreddy lighting mods done, so ill have to re solder the blue LED into the new switch.....

Anyway i can tell by looking at the rear interior light, to tell if wiring is mixed up? Not too cluey when it comes to that. :p

As for the rear panel on the drivers seat. Does anyone know how it actually comes off? So i can repair it and put it back in.

Putting the rear switch back together shouldn't be that hard!

Prob be a few clips at the bottom as well, just have a look:thumbsup:

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
I had same thing happen to me when I owned mine mate, think it was about $5 or something for the plastic clips, just replace em, they are a bitch to take the old ones out and put the new ones in though coz as I remember they are a clip in and they superglue em into place. However once you got em off it's easy street from there.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Are you referring to the clips that are still holding my drivers seat back panel on? just break it all the way off and replace aye? strange they dont allow you to take them off without breaking them.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Ok yes, another problem thread by me. :whistling

In my other Problem threads, my problems seem to be shared by many others, whereas these i think might be a bit more of, my own bad luck and not a commodore thing.
Here goes anyway...

Problem #1:

After starting my stereo install earlier in the week, i had to remove my rear passenger-side door trim. When doing this, i took out the electrical window switch, among other things. Now when removing my window switch, it fell to pieces in my hands......

Im lost as to how it goes back together, and if I even found all the pieces. Pic below shows the parts i managed to find:
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/236/img4924n.jpg
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/4977/img4925l.jpg

Problem #2:

I just noticed tonight while working in the back of my car at night, that the rear drivers side interior light doesnt turn on when the interior lights are switched on. As in, when the switch for the light in in the middle, it doesnt come on with the rest, but when turned on permanently by itself, it comes on. I hope that best explains it, if anyone isnt sure what i mean, let me know and ill try to be more specific.

Problem #3:

The large panel that covers the rear of my drivers seat seems to be partly broken. It appears the two clip thingos at the top have somehow been snapped off. Im assuming this part is inserted by pushing the broken clips up and then clipping the bottom into place. Question is, is this right, or how do i take this panel off to try and repair it?
Pic to help show what i mean:
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9624/img4926.jpg
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7306/img4927c.jpg

GTR

I have experienced the same problem as yourself with the switch, but was lucky that it didn't fall apart, just separated top from bottom. It's not worth trying to explain how to do it via email and if you don't have all the springs and contacts, it's junk. The switch is the same for all VT to VZ's, so a visit to the wrecker is probably the best bet.

With regard to the seat back, it's knackered too. The upper end is retained by two large moulded hooks that are part of the seat back trim. They have obviously broken off and it wouldn't be worth trying to repair them as they probably would only break off again, and that's assuming that you can find the missing pieces sitting inside the bottom of the seat back.

The bottom edge of that trim is retained by two plastic replaceable clips that can be removed without breaking, but it is fiddly. It requires a small screwdriver being inserted from below the trim up to the clip, and pusing the clip slightly upwards to disengage from the seat frame. These clips are brittle and will probably break. They cost about $3 each to replace. Again, the trim is a carry over from the VT, so the wreckers should be able to help again. I'm not sure, but the backs on the passengers front seat may be the same, so you might have a better chance of getting a good one that way. If the map pocket on your seat is good and the pocket on the replacement is stuffed, it's quite simple to remove the pockets and swap them over - two clips and four screws.

Regarding the interior lamp, it has two earths, one via the switch and the other via the dome lamp. I'd say the earth wire between the dome lamp and light has become disconnected. There are two separate earth wires running from the lamp, so remove it and see if one has become disconnected. The next junction is at the foot of the centre pillar - if you removed the trim along the door sill when doing your sound system, you may have dislodged the connection.

Good luck with all three items - let us know how you go.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
thanks for the detailed reply mate.

As for the switch, will be going to the wreckers as the rest of the parts for it are LONG gone. Just hope its not too hard to swap and solder the blue buld into the new one.

I have the two large molded clips for the seat back. I was hoping to use some crazy kind of industrial araldite or something, just enough to hold them in there, its not like the panal would get much movement, if any.

I may have very well bumped something in the lower-center piece, as i did fiddle with all the trims in this area when running the rear speaker wire through the stock door grommet. any specific thing i should look at down there? pics? :p

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
thanks for the detailed reply mate.

As for the switch, will be going to the wreckers as the rest of the parts for it are LONG gone. Just hope its not too hard to swap and solder the blue buld into the new one.

I have the two large molded clips for the seat back. I was hoping to use some crazy kind of industrial araldite or something, just enough to hold them in there, its not like the panal would get much movement, if any.

I may have very well bumped something in the lower-center piece, as i did fiddle with all the trims in this area when running the rear speaker wire through the stock door grommet. any specific thing i should look at down there? pics? :p

Hi GTR

I hope my attachment comes through for you. It's a copy of the wiring harness connections for the centre pillar. You probably need to check connections 1 and 2 for a guess - that should be the connection for the roof wiring with the main body harness.

With regard to the seat back, it's probably been damaged by someone forcing a book or street directory into the pocket too hard and unless you can guarantee that nobody will do that again, it will be awkward to re-fit the seat back and feel comfortable that your adhesive will work. Still, if you can find the broken off bits, it's probably worth a go.

Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 984