Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 Spark Plugs? better performance?

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
Genuine Holden plugs are just re-badged Bosch Platinums.

Last lot I got were $7.70 @ but when you only have to change them every 120,000Kms it isn't a big price to pay.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
The Alloytec engines have platinum/irridium plugs in there as standard anyway...

"Crustin" and "WogBoyz" I don't quite understand how you can change the leads on a car which has coil-on-plug ignition.

Let me help you understand ;)

vel98.jpg

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
2 things, richard; did they run new plugs, airfilter and the likes for the base and then gain the power? If not the results are invalid.
2nd even the LS1 runs coil packs, I have heard of performance coil packs but converting the engine to run spark plugs would decrease performance and probably cost you a small fortune since it would have to be custom made

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Firstly, the Alloytec (GM HFV6) engines have coil ON plug ignition and therefore have NO leads as the coils sit right on top of each spark plug. The L76, L98, etc. V8 engines have coil NEAR plug ignition and therefore have leads connecting each coil to the appropriate plug.

The Alloytec engines are specified with Bosch platinum spark plugs as standard. These are the best spark plugs for this particular engine as they put the ignition system under the least strain as the plugs wear. In practice, iridium plugs do not last quite as long as the platinum plugs (part5icularly double or quad-platinums) under most applications, especially if you're running the engine on LPG.

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
Luke, when I said Leads, i mean as an example. Ive done a bit of work on the intake, so i knew about 'COPI' before that post.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
The more expensive plugs simply have a longer life and need to be changed less often.

Any performance gains would simply be due to the original items wearing out and not operating at 100%.

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Just get the Bosch platinum plugs direct from Holden. They last the distance and are good value compared to the iridiums, plus they're the recommended plug for the engine.

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
I stand corrected. I was almost certain they had coil-on-plug ignition.

Er, right.

That's the V8 fool. Notice the 4 leads on the side, and being a V, 4 on the other side. 4 + 4 is 8.

We are talking about an alloytec 6 arnt we?

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
That's the V8 fool. Notice the 4 leads on the side, and being a V, 4 on the other side. 4 + 4 is 8.

We are talking about an alloytec 6 arnt we?

It's a V8? NOOOO, REALLY?

Thanks for the update, Einstein. WogBoyz mentioned the V8 engine, which I thought had COPI. I was however corrected.

And yes, we WERE talking about the Alloytec motor prior to that, so I still don't understand why you mentioned changing the "leads" on one.