Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 Spark Plugs? better performance?

RFish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hey guys.
Quick question, does putting better brand spark plugs in, such as platinum ones, increase the kw of your car? My mate seems to think for the price they are one of easiest way to increase the power of your car? Any thoughts on this and if so anyone know any good brands?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Its been asked before. Your mate has been struck by the placebo effect. Its all BS, the fuel either burns or it doesn't.

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
im under the impression there are already iridums in there. you have to remove the intake manifold top to change the plugs on the alloy tech

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
not sure on the alloytecs, but with the ls1 i was reading in a magazine, they changed simple things like the airfilter, tested, spark plags, tested and spark leads and tested and found that each had a gain of somewhat, i think around 15kw or something just by doing it, but then again, who knows the condition of the original parts replaced

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
Changing plugs and leads will give it a more powerful spark, but the timing of the spark is much more important, run ultimate, and get it tuned, if u can afford to run ultimate 24/7.

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
The Alloytec engines have platinum/irridium plugs in there as standard anyway...

"Crustin" and "WogBoyz" I don't quite understand how you can change the leads on a car which has coil-on-plug ignition.

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
The Alloytec engines have platinum/irridium plugs in there as standard anyway...

"Crustin" and "WogBoyz" I don't quite understand how you can change the leads on a car which has coil-on-plug ignition.

not sure on the irridium, last time i went to buy plugs best i could get was platinum for the alloytec..was told irridium and alloytec dont mix

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
Yeah, wasn't sure which it was. Regardless, platinum and irridium are both considered "performance" plugs. However I am very sceptical of any actual performance difference. The only reason I'd ever buy precious metal plugs would be purely for the life of the plug, especially in an engine like the Alloytec where changing plugs isn't quite as simple as most or if they were a standard application in that model.