Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 speaker install

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
hey all,

Tomorrow i will be installing my new sound system, providing it doesn't rain. Im after any helpful information in regards to things such as, removing dash parts, laying new cables, what needs to come off ect. Ive read the following thread and downloaded the pdf's but they seem very generalised.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/full-stereo-install-guide-vz-sv6.76335

Has anyone else done this to their own, and have more detailed photos or info i could use?

Ok so a couple of general questions to start off with:

1. Will I need to upgrade the standard speaker wires? If so, is it easy enough to just run them along where the original wires lay? Or is there a less complicated way of doing this? (i have already bought enough wire to do this, not sure if its a necessity)
2. Removal of the top dash pieces where the tweeters are situated. Do these come out on their own, or will i have to take of certain parts before hand? I cant see any screws ect holding it in, so im not even sure how to take it out regardless?.....
3. Has anyone mounted a 4 channel amp under the front passenger seat? I thought it would get kicked to crap by the rear passengers, but my mates are certain that it will be fine, and not even stick out either side.
4. Best place to mount the crossovers for the front splits. I have heard they can fit behind the kick panel of either side, but looks to be alot of mucking around. Is this the only way?

Would a more detailed "how-to" be very useful to anyone on here? Seeing as im doing a fair bit of work, and theres not much else out there, i was thinking of taking hundres of pics along the way. If i think of anything else i will add later.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
EDIT:

I noticed that the pdf's i linked to actually answer my question number 2. This wouldnt show up when i just opened the link, only after downloading them all, can i see all the info. :p

-scyth-

Im alright its the others
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Wagon 05
Hey mate.

Ive recently got a sick as **** sound system in my wags so i wont be able to elaborate much or even do a how-to as im at work at the moment, so hopefully ill make sense below.

1). No standard wires are fine.
2). u've sorted out that one :thumbsup:
3). Ive got a JBL GTO5355, 5 channel 4 x 55W (75W) + 1 x 225W (360W) into 4 ohm (2 ohm) amp. & its mounted where you want it. Its a Long bastard & it fits well in the wags so ull be fine, dont fret.
4). the crossovers in my wags are located in the passengers kick panel & no theres not a lot of stuffing around really.

**** i just clicked the link & it explains everything better that what i was typing! oh well.

good luck with it & let us know how it went!
walt.

hey all,

Tomorrow i will be installing my new sound system, providing it doesn't rain. Im after any helpful information in regards to things such as, removing dash parts, laying new cables, what needs to come off ect. Ive read the following thread and downloaded the pdf's but they seem very generalised.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/full-stereo-install-guide-vz-sv6.76335

Has anyone else done this to their own, and have more detailed photos or info i could use?

Ok so a couple of general questions to start off with:

1. Will I need to upgrade the standard speaker wires? If so, is it easy enough to just run them along where the original wires lay? Or is there a less complicated way of doing this? (i have already bought enough wire to do this, not sure if its a necessity)
2. Removal of the top dash pieces where the tweeters are situated. Do these come out on their own, or will i have to take of certain parts before hand? I cant see any screws ect holding it in, so im not even sure how to take it out regardless?.....
3. Has anyone mounted a 4 channel amp under the front passenger seat? I thought it would get kicked to crap by the rear passengers, but my mates are certain that it will be fine, and not even stick out either side.
4. Best place to mount the crossovers for the front splits. I have heard they can fit behind the kick panel of either side, but looks to be alot of mucking around. Is this the only way?

Would a more detailed "how-to" be very useful to anyone on here? Seeing as im doing a fair bit of work, and theres not much else out there, i was thinking of taking hundres of pics along the way. If i think of anything else i will add later.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
thanks for the reply mate!

I found that how-to that i linked to a bit hard to read, and couldve been a bit more detailed in certain parts, hence why i was thinking of doing my own.

So this long ass bundle of speaker wire i bought is a waste huh?... :(

Kal123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 && 180sx
Yeah man, would love an in depth how-to! Best of luck, and take lot's of pics =D

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Will try to get the camera and take as many pics as possible.

One more question. Whats everyones opinion on the front speaker pods. Modify the original, or build your own from timber? Pics for comparison:

the speaker in the timber pod is the exact speaker i will be using, incase that changes anything?

Last edited:

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR

One more question. Whats everyones opinion on the front speaker pods. Modify the original, or build your own from timber? Pics for comparison:

the speaker in the timer pod is the exact speaker i will be using, incase that changes anything?

I chopped mine to fit 6.5" speakers (many 6" will fit without modification). Unless I knew there'd be a large SQ benefit I wouldn't bother dicking around with MDF. Factory speakers will always bolt back in should you want to go back to stock.

-scyth-

Im alright its the others
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Wagon 05
Yeah bud, the extra speaker cables a bit of a waste. Maybe sell it to some ricer punk instead? :D

Umm we just modded out the original speaker pods using a variable speed jigsaw that cuts plastic & just trimmed it neatly with a dremmel.

looking sweet GTR, mind if i ask how much $ for the dynomat & how much it covered?

the speaker in the timer pod is the exact speaker i will be using, incase that changes anything?

Kal123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 && 180sx
Scyth, I don't think they are of GTRWilson's car... As he has a white car, and that car is black??