Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz sv6 starting problems (starting sometimes)

lockybud

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 manual
hey guys first time poster on this forum.

so i picked up this vz sv6 the other day and its got this starting issue.

when going to start the car im getting these errors on the dash;

very low fuel, fuel gauge error contact dealer, service vehicle soon, srs airbag fault (it has vx seats in it and thats the cause of the srs fault i was told) when turning key nothing at all no click sound,

so the start the car i have to:
step
1: turn key one click, so dash light does not come on.
2: remove battery terminal wait a few seconds
3: reattach battery terminal, and repeat disconnecting and reconnecting terminal untill a distintictive sound in the engine bay starts (sounds like a fuel pump im not sure)

Only when it makes this sound from the engine bay will the car start.

would anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
possibly its the ECM , ( cars computer ) , you may need to bite the bullet and take the car to a mechanic and get a scan .

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
While you have the battery disconnected, remove and replace the starter relay, maybe even swap over the starter relay with another relay of the same amps.
My VZ has a habit of not connecting with the ignition if it has sat for a while, like a few days to a week.
If I remember, I turn the key to on, wait 2-3 seconds, then turn to ignition.
If I go straight from off to start, it will sometimes do absolutely nothing, and other times will start and instantly stop, so I need to remove the key and reinsert to start the car.

lockybud

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 manual
possibly its the ECM , ( cars computer ) , you may need to bite the bullet and take the car to a mechanic and get a scan .
Will i need to have the new ecm reprogrammed to work in my car, say if its from the a second hand one from wreackers.

lockybud

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 manual
While you have the battery disconnected, remove and replace the starter relay, maybe even swap over the starter relay with another relay of the same amps.
My VZ has a habit of not connecting with the ignition if it has sat for a while, like a few days to a week.
If I remember, I turn the key to on, wait 2-3 seconds, then turn to ignition.
If I go straight from off to start, it will sometimes do absolutely nothing, and other times will start and instantly stop, so I need to remove the key and reinsert to start the car.

Ok man ill give that a go hopefully its something simple like thats

lockybud

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 manual
Oh i forgot to mention before that it will start some times in neutral with clutch out.

But other times i have to put the clutch in for it to start.

Could the clutch have sonething to do with it not wanting to start?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Will i need to have the new ecm reprogrammed to work in my car, say if its from the a second hand one from wreackers.

you might be better off getting a new one , and having it programmed to suit , a second hand one might give the same problems , it's your call , good luck and hopefully you sort it out .

lockybud

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 manual
Well im thinking a new ecm is abit out of my price range at the moment. Id be more looking at one out of a working donor car. But im hopeing with it starting sometimes, could that mean it is maybe something smaller like a sensor or earth problem?

Trev084

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 6 Seat Wagon. 2005 VZ SV6
I had the fuel gauge error, service vehicle soon and low fuel warnings, I put my scan tool on it and got P0615.

I pulled the ecu etc out and sent it to injectronics, within a week later I had another refurbed ecu sent back along with my other programmed computers and it’s now fine.

lockybud

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 manual
I had the fuel gauge error, service vehicle soon and low fuel warnings, I put my scan tool on it and got P0615.

I pulled the ecu etc out and sent it to injectronics, within a week later I had another refurbed ecu sent back along with my other programmed computers and it’s now fine.

Oh ok nice. How much did that cost mate?
Also exactly what parts have to be sent for refurbishing?