Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 that clunks at low speeds

alyros

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 SV6
I have a 2006 SV6 sedan which has done 80,000kms. For the past few months there has been an intermittent clunk when you slow down at intersections, put the foot down and in reverse. The clunk can be 1-3 clunks and it sounds like it is coming from the diff area. The car has been to 2 respected mechanics who say it is OK. Any suggestions??

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
This question has been answered in a thread somewhere here very recently. It is the differential engagement in drive (dull thud at slow walking pace) and not something to worry about, nor is it "excessive wear".

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
VZ diffs are **** and renowned for backlash.

I rebuilt mine at 100,000 because it got that bad and it was much better afterwards.

vt super6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss v6 supercharged
hi had the same problem i put nulon lsd oil in and nulon g70 and it sweet

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
VY has the same problem. I started a thread on it a year or two ago. It's known as cyclic diff knock and is caused by some play in the diff. Can be repaired by replacing some curclips or something?? Mine has done it for two to three years now and doesn't bother me, very common. Mine would especially do it at roundabouts when I would back off on the throttle then accelerate. I've since learned to simply drive "easier" and avoid the knock occuring most of the time.

Mz ENV11T

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ 2006
I have a VR auto and it does the same thing, seeing as the VR and VZ are totally different cars , would it be the same problem?