Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz sv6 ute 6speed manual

Rambo91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Hey I am having trouble with starting my 2004 VZ 6 speed manual ute I got a roadworthy done the other day it started and then when he turn it off it wouldn't start again turn the key on all lights come on and has to have the clutch fully in 2 startand it does nothing since then I brought a new brand new battery in and still haven't fixed the problem turn the key and nothing happens all is there a clutch sensor on the gearbox is there anyone that has had similar or the same problem

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Rambo,

The v6 Manual Transmission has two clutch pedal position sensors. One for the Engine Control Module and one for the Cruise Control.

The Clutch Pedal Switch (Manual Only)

The clutch pedal position switch provides an input to the ECU to ensure the clutch pedal is depressed while the vehicle is
being started. This switch is normally open when the clutch pedal is at rest, closing when the pedal is pressed. Activation
of this switch sends a signal to the ECM which will then allow operation of the starter motor.

That would be a good place to start - if it is staying open you won't be able to start it. Howerver it is just one of many things that could be causing a no start condition. The others include blown fusible links or fuses, faulty relay and poor earths. There is a diagnostics table in the manual that has 24 steps - too long to paste in here. You can download the manual (search the forum for a link). You will find the V6 Start System diagnostics on page
6D1-2–10 it will walk you through the test proceedure. A couple of the steps require a diagnostics tool but if you skip those and focus on what you can check you will either find the issue or have a good idea of what to tell someone with the right test equipment what has been checked and excluded.

The other thing that could be an issue is the security system - this can certainly inhibit starting. Again you can read up on it in the manual.

I trust this points you in the right direction.

Rambo91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Hi Rambo,

The v6 Manual Transmission has two clutch pedal position sensors. One for the Engine Control Module and one for the Cruise Control.

The Clutch Pedal Switch (Manual Only)

The clutch pedal position switch provides an input to the ECU to ensure the clutch pedal is depressed while the vehicle is
being started. This switch is normally open when the clutch pedal is at rest, closing when the pedal is pressed. Activation
of this switch sends a signal to the ECM which will then allow operation of the starter motor.

That would be a good place to start - if it is staying open you won't be able to start it. Howerver it is just one of many things that could be causing a no start condition. The others include blown fusible links or fuses, faulty relay and poor earths. There is a diagnostics table in the manual that has 24 steps - too long to paste in here. You can download the manual (search the forum for a link). You will find the V6 Start System diagnostics on page
6D1-2–10 it will walk you through the test proceedure. A couple of the steps require a diagnostics tool but if you skip those and focus on what you can check you will either find the issue or have a good idea of what to tell someone with the right test equipment what has been checked and excluded.

The other thing that could be an issue is the security system - this can certainly inhibit starting. Again you can read up on it in the manual.

I trust this points you in the right direction.
Hi joll thanks I will look in to those things today thankyou