Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 won't start, reverse lights on <weirdo special>

thedarksky32

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hey guys, my step dad replaced the thermostat, waterpump, plugs, belt etc etc in our VZ SV6. After putting all back together, the car won't start. Like, won't even turn over (or click for that matter). Also, the reverse lights are permanently on, and when you move the shifter around it doesn't change on the display. This is in addition to fuel pump permanently priming, and the screen saying 'fuel gauge error, contact dealer'.

So, to put it lightly, WHAT THE F**K HAS HE DONE.

I have checked the fuses (under bonnet and in car) and everything is fine. I plugged my OBDII cable in, and the ECU doesn't seem to want to talk.

In an effort to reduce flaming towards my step dad, he knows his **** mechanically, but not electronically at all.

HELP.

Thanks in advance :)

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Has to be an 'electronically related problem'. Checkk all wiring and plugs to ensure that they have been correctly re-installed. If in doubt, call NRMA, RAA (Roadside Assist etc).

thedarksky32

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I've gone out myself this morning, and all the plug work seems to be in order - I reseated the plugs he says he messed around with. I have read some people who have the not starting issue coupled with the fuel gauge error getting them running my manually triggering the starter to get it to run. I bridged the pins where the starter relay is, and nothing. This still doesn't explain why the reverse lights are stuck on, though.

I can see this is probably going to end in a tow to a dealer, which I'm less than impressed about.

vz_sv6_owner1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS storm ute
Is the car auto or manual.. Did your step dad remove the battery terminal when disconnecting plugs??

I'd be looking at the neutral start switch on the shifter if its an auto

thedarksky32

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Is the car auto or manual.. Did your step dad remove the battery terminal when disconnecting plugs??

I'd be looking at the neutral start switch on the shifter if its an auto

Yes it's an auto, and yes he did.

Where abouts is that located?

Cheers

ImpulseSV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz SV6
I’m having this issue now after replacing my thermostat, wouldn’t mind knowing how it can be fixed

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Make sure you have reconnected the transmission harness, AND the ground bolt!
Pages from V05_12O - Sedan and Wagon.jpg

ImpulseSV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz SV6
Thanks heaps, Any photos of the transmission harness I need to connect before I pull it apart again to check if I missed it? Theres only one ground strap that I disconnected, it was on the passenger side head when I moved the harness and coil packs but I bolted it back in..

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
It's the bits I circled in red on the first image mate, this shows plug 1 also.
Trans plug.jpg

Last edited: