Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Temp Fluctuates in Traffic

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Hello

Problem: Temp fluctuates randomly (not every time) when in stand-still traffic on 30min+ journeys. Temp raises fairly fast to the H position, a warning sounds and the system corrects itself.

So about 4 months ago, when it first happened, Kmart bled my cooling system to ensure no air bubbles were present after my temp gauge
At the time, no leaks were detected and the car went without a problem through winter on short trips.

Today, on a hot day and a long trip, and only in stand-still traffic, the temp gauge slowly crept up randomly almost to the High position which I then received a High Temp warning and the system then corrected it and dropped back to the normal temp. Occuring randomly and not all the time, I am confused by the system decided to fluctuate.

Being a VZ V6 Calais, I know the thermostat and waterpumps are common problems and so too are the radiator caps. Kmart Auto recently determined the heater tap and hose is leaking, although the coolant levels are actually ABOVE the recommended levels. No liquid found on the road. I am getting them to fix it.

Can anyone with experience through so light as to whether the heater tap and heater hose is causing this problem as Kmart thinks it will only fix it at a 60% sucess rate.
I cannot confirm a blown head gasket, though this is my worst fear. The car was always stationary when the temp went to the H position. The car was driven very lightly (revs below 2500) when the temp was elevated at around mid-way on the temp gauge.

There is also the chance of the temp sensors failing and the cooling fans are working fine. In hope to cut costs, can anyone recommend how to go about testing what to rectify this problem?

Appreicate it!

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
Next time try turn on your aircon, that normally makes both fans kick in. I noticed mine would climb like mad, I saw in another post to try turn on the aircon and the temp dropped.

I was going to replace my thermostat until I saw that, now I see no point.

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Next time try turn on your aircon, that normally makes both fans kick in. I noticed mine would climb like mad, I saw in another post to try turn on the aircon and the temp dropped.

I was going to replace my thermostat until I saw that, now I see no point.

Thanks mate! Yeah, sounds like your fan system isnt working properly... though dont quote me cause Im not a mechanic.
Appreciate your response however my car continues to overheat even with the air-con. Kmart will now have my car for three days trying to work it out.
I just really dont wanna have to fork out cash to replace the thermostat or even worse the head gaskets.

I wonder if its a bad sensor whether the coolant temp readings in the service mode is what also gets affected. Does anybody know how they can test\check the sensors?

And... Is it worth me paying them to do a test to see if the head gaskets are cracked?

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It may be worth it, also remember there was also a software issue that caused the gauge to fluctuate alot as well.

If you look back even the past month you will notice the temperature issue has been done a few times lately. Not sure what its like down south but I know its warming up alot up here. So the issue will be exaggerated alot.

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
It may be worth it, also remember there was also a software issue that caused the gauge to fluctuate alot as well.

If you look back even the past month you will notice the temperature issue has been done a few times lately. Not sure what its like down south but I know its warming up alot up here. So the issue will be exaggerated alot.
Brilliant. Thanks for confirming the software issue. I read that somewhere but I couldnt get it confirmed. Do you know if updating the firmware can cause any problems like make me have to re-calibrate the fuel etc.?

Im gonna call them tomorrow and have the software updated. Just more money lol

Its certainly getting hotter here in Sydney and you're right, its making the problem heaps more evident.
I just want my car back already lol

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden SHOULD calibrate everything for you. Though what they should do and what they do is sometimes very different things.

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Holden SHOULD calibrate everything for you. Though what they should do and what they do is sometimes very different things.

Hahaha... yeah iv been there already... and probably on one too many occasions.

I was gonna get Kmart to do them. They do a few of my cars and they usually look after me well. Ill get their opinion first n see.
I just dont think the $150 I gave em today to replace the heater tap and hose is gonna fix it :(

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V

Just updating... I called Suttons Holden service today and he assured me there was never any software update regarding the temp gauge but actually the fuel gauge.

I collected my car today. I just need to wait for a good hot day to test out whether the problem is now fixed after replacing the heater tap and hose and rebleeding.
But yeah... Im not convinced its fixed and itll leave me indoors on the next hot day.

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I called Holden today they said there was an issue, but I am not entirely sure I can beleive these idiots, I asked for my mums speedo to be calibrated. They say it cant be done at all.
Then I asked what it costs for a thermostat and housing to be replaced on a 175 alloytec engine, I get told, no lie 'Holden doesn't make alloytecs try Honda' I say its in my VZ Crewman 'We don't make a Crewman I think you have the wrong number'.

So I don't know how much you can rely on things they say. Though I have found out that I must be driving a Honda Crewman S pack thats been sneakingly rebadged as holden so has every other crewman in the world. (except the chev badged ones)

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
HAHAHAHA.... yeah man!

I guess the only time your car runs perfect is out of the new cars lot BEFORE its first service... if you're lucky.