Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Thermostat Issues - Does It Sound Right?

jackcurrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged Series II VY.
The spout at the front of the engine that connects to your top radiator hose has 2 seals. These seals leak into the area below where the intake manifold bolts up and pools in the valley, When you drive it runs to the back of the motor and down from there.

Commonly misdiagnosed as thermostat when its simply 2 rubber seals that need replacing.

Pressure test doesnt show anything because the leak pools in that valley where you cant see it, then runs out when you drive.

I'll mention this to the mechanic when the car is dropped off on Thursday. Although if it was under pressure for 30 minutes do you think it would have pooled enough to start dripping. The mechanic pulled me under the car as it was raised, and there was a clear line of stain running down the block, just couldn't be 100% sure where it was coming from. I don't doubt there is a leak, I just haven't seen any other signs of it being the thermostat - except for where the stain is coming from and the location of the drops.

Might be an idea to run the car to operating temp tomorrow, but not drive it? And see if theres a drip once she gets warm? If there is, I can assume its the thermostat, and if not, good chance its the leak you mentioned, and I havent had a leak because I havent actually moved the car, therefore the pool hasn't shifted? If thats a decent experiment, I'll give it a try tomorrow before I take it in the following day?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
You have to lift up the intake manifold and shine a torch in between the intake pipes and see if theres coolant under there.

It will hold a fair bit of coolant in there before overflowing.

jackcurrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged Series II VY.
You have to lift up the intake manifold and shine a torch in between the intake pipes and see if theres coolant under there.

It will hold a fair bit of coolant in there before overflowing.

Alright, I'll mention this to the mechanic and let him have a look before he goes too far with the thermostat.

I guess my biggest question is, if the thermostat/housing is leaking, but not a big leak, will it have symptoms like temp/gauge. Or will these only appear if the leak goes unnoticed and I begin to lose a lot of coolant.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
System should top itself up from the overflow tank, once thats empty it will begin to run hot/overheat as air enters the system.

guroojosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6
Hi I have just bought a Vz Adventra Alloytec with 174000 on the clock and i have the same problem, the car over heated the in first week so i changed the waterpump which the old one totally crapped itself. And just tonight i noticed a rather large puddle under the car. So i rolled it back and started it up to operating temp, then noticed a small drip coming from the back of the engine after i turned it off, Im pritty sure it would be that o ring that connects to the inlet pipe, but im going to have a better look tomorrow.

Did you find out what or where its coming from?

guroojosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6
Mine also doesn't show any symptoms of over heating either, also checked my overflow and it too seems to stay full? i changed the waterpump over a week ago so Id think if it was leaking it should of shown something by now

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I had a issue with a leak as well , turned out heater tap was stuffed , not a big leak just enough to be a concern

guroojosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6
I had a look underneath today and found that its coming from some sort of heater overflow pipe from above the gearbox must be from inside the cabin, so you think its still the heater tap, its just a small drip but after 30 mins the puddle is quite large.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I had a look underneath today and found that its coming from some sort of heater overflow pipe from above the gearbox must be from inside the cabin, so you think its still the heater tap, its just a small drip but after 30 mins the puddle is quite large.

hey man , check out this photo of where mine was leaking from . This was from before it was repaired , not a major amount leaked , but enough to be a concern, see the purple/ red coolant seeping from heater tap (forgive the photo )

Attachments

• photo 67.jpg
    photo 67.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 955
Last edited:

pbax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
I had this leak too and changed my heater tap. Wasn't hard to do, had to cut the hose that connects to the firewall to remove it so just replaced that and the heater tap. Make sure you bleed the system upon completion.
It took some effort to get the clamps of as well, especially the firewall one as it was facing the wrong way (original factory one). So replace all clamps with the ones you can screw to tighten and loosen.