Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz Thermostat problems

StormVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm Ute
Hi im here for info so ill get straight to the point. Ive read through the other posts and haven't yet seen this so...

I have previously had some heating problems with my 05 VZ ute that turned out to be air locks in the system. Today i gave a full service, replaced the coils and plugs and flushed the coolant system. Upon putting it back together i was topping up the system having just put the manifold back on and noticed it wasnt taking enough water, was overflowing at 5 litres. Long story short i let it get to temp thermostat opened (i thought) and filled it up. Bled the system, went for a quick lap of the block and when i removed the radiator cap the bottom of the thermostat, (the small disc with the rubber on it) was in the filler tube. I now have to pull the manifol back off to obviously replace the thermostat but am worried that other parts of the thermostat are in the cooling system. Where should i look for internal water galleries that may house the other parts, if they have broken off?

also on a side note. sometimes it will not start but just keeps cranking for 20 seconds or doesnt crank at all, the key just turns?. it always starts if you wait around 40 seconds after and try again? have had a scan tool on it and no problem apparently but my experience with it not starting would say otherwise? any ideas on that? i know this isnt the section but was just wondering.

Any info would be of great help

Thank you very much

Juan

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Commodore
I have very limited experience but I just finnished replacing my coolant and I found the same thing you can't get all the water out .
what I did to bleed mine is make up a funnel that jams in the recovery port fill it up high with coolant and run the engine up to temp while bleeding off the air and topping up the coolant. Put the heater full on also. Then once the bleed is a steady flow of coolant lock it up gentle that is. Suck up any excess coolant in the header funnel with a Turkey baster and replace the cap , it should be good to go.
The rest I just don't know about.

KGkid

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ ute
Dont know what you mean by this "when i removed the radiator cap the bottom of the thermostat, (the small disc with the rubber on it) was in the filler tube. I now have to pull the manifol back off to obviously replace the thermostat but am worried that other parts of the thermostat are in the cooling system." Do you mean the bottom of the radiator cap broke off??

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 colorado diesel 4wd automatic. 2010 mazda 3
I have very limited experience but I just finnished replacing my coolant and I found the same thing you can't get all the water out .
what I did to bleed mine is make up a funnel that jams in the recovery port fill it up high with coolant and run the engine up to temp while bleeding off the air and topping up the coolant. Put the heater full on also. Then once the bleed is a steady flow of coolant lock it up gentle that is. Suck up any excess coolant in the header funnel with a Turkey baster and replace the cap , it should be good to go.
The rest I just don't know about.
u wat m8? lol
theres a bleed screw on the top drivers side of the radiator?

i also don't understand the op. bottom of radiator cap might have broken off? is urs a v8? on v6 thermostat is at back of engine, doubtful it could travel to the front of vehicle if it did snap, idk tho just speculating.

Juan

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Commodore
Not sure what you are saying but I did use the bleed screw what else would I be refering too?

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok cool just checking u knew about it. lost me at turkey baster.

Juan

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Commodore
Well when you have finnished bleeding the radiator core there is coolant left over " above the recover cap port " inside the funnel . So I use a Turkey baster to remove it down to just above the normal coolant level . This way nothing is wasted and almost none gets on the motor .

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
i understand. couldn't u just keep filling it up through the recovery cap port as it takes it? u do mean the main rad cap on the engine, right? not the one behind the passenger headlight?

Juan

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Commodore
I made up a funnel that jams into the coolant recovery port on the engine so it is easy to fill up and gives a "head " of coolant way above the radiator . This makes the bleeding way quicker and easier . After you finnish some coolant is left in the funnel "above " the normal level in he coolant recovery port . If you just pulled the funnel out coolant would be lost all over the motor .
Enter the Turkey baster.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Easier to just top up coolant through the filler neck with the overflow tube blocked off or pull it out and stick it in the filler cap while bleeding, that way no excess coolant goes back into the overflow