Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Thump from 2nd to 3rd gear

Chicka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Alloytec 2004
Hi Guys,
This damsel is stressin.....I was kinda wondering if anyone can tell me why my car does this? It's not so loud but I KNOW it's there. The first time I took it to Holden they tried downloading new software and updating the computer, then they tried the same 2nd time round at the 70,000k service. Now they are telling me it's NORMAL - surely if it was normal it would thump all the time - but it doesn't. Just when I'm cruising at slower speeds ie thru the school zones. There is no thump when I accelerate normally.
Question is "If it's normal why then did Holden try two times to fix it???" I am still under new car warranty
Chicka

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Hi Guys,
This damsel is stressin.....I was kinda wondering if anyone can tell me why my car does this? It's not so loud but I KNOW it's there. The first time I took it to Holden they tried downloading new software and updating the computer, then they tried the same 2nd time round at the 70,000k service. Now they are telling me it's NORMAL - surely if it was normal it would thump all the time - but it doesn't. Just when I'm cruising at slower speeds ie thru the school zones. There is no thump when I accelerate normally.
Question is "If it's normal why then did Holden try two times to fix it???" I am still under new car warranty
Chicka
the 4 speed autos holden have in the VZ are only useful for paper weights. they are hunks of crap.

im assuming its normal as mine does it, and my VS did the same thing.

Chicka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Alloytec 2004
Thanks Troy,
Makes you wonder why they bother....

A natural holden gal, whose first ever car was the LH Torrie with a 253, then a ex-pursuit VH with the 308, I must of had a rush of something and then went to the XF and then the EBII V8, now Ive gone back to the Dores and am wondering if I've done the right thing.
Aaaaw well, at least I had fun doing the mods within the first week to change the appearance from a "stock standard" eeew to something that looks "not too bad" (for a gal's car)

At least now I know mine is not alone with the "thump"
Cheers
Chicka

flame908

Reaction score
Members Ride
hsv vz clubsport
hi
my car did the same thing in my vz clupsport its nothing bad its just the rear diff mount bushing, there is a void between that an the diff allowing some play making a thump it can be reduced but you will never get rid of it unless you had a solid diff all i did was put in a nolathane bush between the void also replaced the rear crossmember mounts which will stiff up the rear of the car i used to get a loud thump but now its only miner the after markets products will only reduce it will not fix the problem

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Grave digging, last response was 5 years ago lol

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
hi
my car did the same thing in my vz clupsport its nothing bad its just the rear diff mount bushing, there is a void between that an the diff allowing some play making a thump it can be reduced but you will never get rid of it unless you had a solid diff all i did was put in a nolathane bush between the void also replaced the rear crossmember mounts which will stiff up the rear of the car i used to get a loud thump but now its only miner the after markets products will only reduce it will not fix the problem

Yeah it is an old thread but I'm going to jump in.

Drive line thump can be caused by the efi system being out of kilter.
In my case everything showed up fine on the diagnostics side of things.
Ended up being dirty injectors. Not dirty enough to be noticable or cause major drivability problems (only that it ran a bit coarse at times and didn't feel quite as smooth or responsive).
And your injectors won't show as a fault on a Tech 2 that you can trace back to them until they're really bad.

Anyway an off car injector clean cured the problem and a few others as well.
And a word of warning. Don't even bother doing an on car injector clean. It's a gamble. Sometimes it works, but can be a waste of time and money because you can't tell if they really are clean enough and spraying correctly.