Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Thunder

Discussion in 'VY - VZ - WK - WL - V2' started by exanVZ, Aug 28, 2017.

1. exanVZ

exanVZ Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Thunder
    Hey guys,

Sold my VZ SS a while back and been missing the V8 rumble, and getting sick of riding my motorbike every day, especially with the weather lately, so I picked this up last week.

Completely stock, 1 owner before me, very low KM
    Got a few mods planned, nothing extreme just the usual stuff

Model: VZ SS Thunder
    Year: 2007
    Colour: Black
    Engine: 6.0L L98
    Transmission: Manual
    Intake: Stock
    Exhaust: Stock
    Suspension: Stock
    Diff: Stock
    Interior: Black Leather
    Rims: Stock 18"
    Tyres: Bridgestone Potenza S001
    Stereo: Stock

Pics:
    [​IMG]

2. exanVZ

exanVZ Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Thunder
    First mod is done, exhaust fitted up last week at BYE Performance in Perth. Twin 3" Manta full system, hurricane 1 7/8" 4-1 headers, twin 3" stainless cats and twin 3" manta cat back with middle hotdogs and rear muffler. Sounds awesome. Took a few pics on the weekend when the weather was good but only so much of the exhaust you can really see. Fitment is perfect, about as snug as you can really get, and the stainless tips look good I think.

Next up will be an OTR and tune, will get the plastic VCM OTR and still deciding whether to go with a MAF or MAFless tune, the new VCM OTR's accommodate the MAF sensor no problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VS 5.0, afstruct and JoshlikesCalais like this.
  3. exanVZ

exanVZ Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Thunder
    OTR and tune done now, made 352rwhp, 647nm.

[​IMG]

VS 5.0 likes this.
  4. dgp

dgp Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SSV Redline
    Looks good, did you keep the maf?

5. exanVZ

exanVZ Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Thunder
    cheers mate, didn't keep the MAF went with a MAFless tune as that was what was recommended by the tuner.

6. exanVZ

exanVZ Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Thunder
    Haven't done much on this mechanically since last year, have added a tub liner in the tray, that's about it.
    Have just started getting parts together to upgrade the stereo now, going with an android auto head unit, and some 6" or 6.5" splits in the front, and I've got a kicker sub/amp to go behind one of the seats for a little bit of bass.

Still loving the exhaust, and still no drone or anything.
    Next up, probably lower suspension.

7. exanVZ

exanVZ Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Thunder
    tested whether the sub will fit today, i don't think it could be any bigger to be honest.
    excuse how dirty my car is, that's the dogs side of the car, will give it a decent clean on the weekend when i take the seat out too.
    i'm not sure whether i need to actually permanently mount it to the floor or the rear of the cab, or if it will be fine just sitting there. it doesn't budge even a few mm when it's wedged in there so i'm thinking it's probably safe to just let it sit there.

i've also checked that there is still plenty of room on the passenger side even with the sub box behind the seat, i'm about 187cm and there was enough leg room for me to stretch out, but it does cost a small amount of space on that side as the seat does not go all the way back now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. exanVZ

exanVZ Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Thunder
    Just in case anyone was triggered by the dirty car, here's the follow-up.
    I pulled out most of the interior on the weekend and gave everything a good clean, while running wires for new speakers/amp, then put most of it back together. Dog hair is really hard to get out of the carpet. Still got a little bit to finish up but will do that one night this week or next weekend if I don't have the time this week.

[​IMG]

9. Sandman

Sandman Challenge Accepted

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    Looks pretty similar size to the sub box in my Maloo, wouldn't want to go any bigger are my thoughts too. Also just remember to remove the spare wheel tool before the sub box goes in, otherwise you'll have a sh!t of a time if you are stuck at the side of the road trying to get it out.

10. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    Velcro.

11. exanVZ

exanVZ Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Thunder
    thanks man, I was thinking about that as the jack and winch are not in a good spot, where did you put your spare? I could probably strap it down in the tray or something just in case I do need it.

I have some velcro strips I was going to use, but it doesn't stick to the floor carpet or the sub box carpet very well. due to the size of the sub, it doesn't really sit flush with any of the surfaces either, it does wedge right in behind the seat rails and the back so it probably won't move too much.

figjam likes this.
  12. Sandman

Sandman Challenge Accepted

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    Mine sat on the garage floor since last September which was working great until Sunday when I had a flat and had to get a lift home to grab them. I've had 2 flats in the last 5 years/160,000ks so I'm currently deliberating what to do, the tyre release thingy is easy to store in the tray, but its the jack which is my problem. Factory scissor jack basically folded on itself when I tried to use it and the Maloo is too low to even think about getting a bottle jack under.... Not sure at all what I'll do actually.

13. exanVZ

exanVZ Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Thunder
    finally finished my speaker install this weekend, new head unit wired up, steering wheel controls working fine, reverse camera connected and working, but the display isn't switching to the camera automatically when I go into reverse, still working that one out. antenna also goes up as soon as the car is turned on, not just when I'm actually using the radio, so need to work that out too.

sound deadened both doors with stinger roadkill, makes a huge difference to how much outside noise gets in. i'm assuming it helps with the speakers a little too, but I didn't do a before/after to compare how it sounds.

new splits installed in the front, and all wired up nicely, without molesting any factory wiring in the doors or to the factory tweeters. sub install behind hte passenger seat is also pretty clean I think, no visible cables, but it's a bit annoying now not being able to put the seat all the way back. building a smaller sub box might be a future project.

this was my first time doing any car audio installation so it was a big job for me, overall it seems pretty easy, but I found the documentation and instructions lacking specifically around steering wheel controls and reverse camera install.

next up i'll need to spend some time tweaking the settings to get it dialed in nicely.

have taken the jack and winch out of the back of the car for now, will have to figure out where to store it now. probably room for the jack and winch behind the drivers seat instead, if I can make sure it doesn't roll around that should be fine.