Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Thunder

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Looks pretty similar size to the sub box in my Maloo, wouldn't want to go any bigger are my thoughts too. Also just remember to remove the spare wheel tool before the sub box goes in, otherwise you'll have a sh!t of a time if you are stuck at the side of the road trying to get it out.
thanks man, I was thinking about that as the jack and winch are not in a good spot, where did you put your spare? I could probably strap it down in the tray or something just in case I do need it.

I have some velcro strips I was going to use, but it doesn't stick to the floor carpet or the sub box carpet very well. due to the size of the sub, it doesn't really sit flush with any of the surfaces either, it does wedge right in behind the seat rails and the back so it probably won't move too much.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Mine sat on the garage floor since last September which was working great until Sunday when I had a flat and had to get a lift home to grab them. I've had 2 flats in the last 5 years/160,000ks so I'm currently deliberating what to do, the tyre release thingy is easy to store in the tray, but its the jack which is my problem. Factory scissor jack basically folded on itself when I tried to use it and the Maloo is too low to even think about getting a bottle jack under.... Not sure at all what I'll do actually.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
finally finished my speaker install this weekend, new head unit wired up, steering wheel controls working fine, reverse camera connected and working, but the display isn't switching to the camera automatically when I go into reverse, still working that one out. antenna also goes up as soon as the car is turned on, not just when I'm actually using the radio, so need to work that out too.

sound deadened both doors with stinger roadkill, makes a huge difference to how much outside noise gets in. i'm assuming it helps with the speakers a little too, but I didn't do a before/after to compare how it sounds.

new splits installed in the front, and all wired up nicely, without molesting any factory wiring in the doors or to the factory tweeters. sub install behind hte passenger seat is also pretty clean I think, no visible cables, but it's a bit annoying now not being able to put the seat all the way back. building a smaller sub box might be a future project.

this was my first time doing any car audio installation so it was a big job for me, overall it seems pretty easy, but I found the documentation and instructions lacking specifically around steering wheel controls and reverse camera install.

next up i'll need to spend some time tweaking the settings to get it dialed in nicely.

have taken the jack and winch out of the back of the car for now, will have to figure out where to store it now. probably room for the jack and winch behind the drivers seat instead, if I can make sure it doesn't roll around that should be fine.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
This thread is definitely overdue for an update, never came back to post once I finished the speaker and head unit install. Ended up sorting everything out, sounds pretty good in such a small cab. Will post up a few pics of the install. The switch to the right of the head unit turns the antenna up and down so it doesn't go up when I don't want it.

MtFUtUp.jpg

wVtsKkh.jpg

HdT4uZ1.jpg

NtHIwfh.jpg

Didn't end up wiring up the reverse camera at the time since it was a pain to run the cable to the back but did that another time and got it working perfectly when going into reverse and can turn it on manually if I want to as well.

XZrhdRq.jpg

TvhCJGA.jpg

Last edited:

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Ordered new pads and rotors 2 weeks ago, and new shocks and springs while I'm at it, so they should arrive this week and will get around to swapping everything over first weekend I can. I've done pads and rotors before and it's pretty easy, never done shocks or springs but going to give it a go and try it myself while I have the rotors off.

Ordered DBA T2 basic slotted rotors and just cheap bendix pads, and ordered King SL front and SSL\Ultra low rear springs and Monroe shocks so hopefully sits a bit nicer after that. If anyone has any tips for changing shocks and springs let me know... if not will post a pic once done

Also been told that I have a few leaks around the engine so need to give it a good degrease to see where it's coming from, and also got a small list of stuff that needs fixed after last service.

Reactions: Lex

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Got started on this over the weekend, was a big job for me. Hit a few minor problems along the way but got everything sorted.
Only did the rear end this weekend so I didn't bite off more than I can chew, will try the front next weekend.

New rear shocks, springs, rotors, pads and brake lines. My car is nearly 16 years old but has pretty low km's, everything is old and needs to be replaced, I think the rotors were still the originals it was sold with.
Been meaning to lower it since I got it as it was sitting way too high, so put in shorter shocks and ultra low springs, it's still settling so not sure exactly how low it will end up but pretty happy with the height for now, could even be slightly lower or maybe I just need some bigger wheels now.

eWZakLD.jpg

Rounded one of the flare nuts on the hard line, even using a flare nut spanner it was just on so tight, couldn't even get it off with vice grips so I just cut it off and got a new one made, they just gave it back to me straight so I had to bend it all myself, think I did alright for not having any bending tools, just used the corner of my bench and a big barbell bar.

u3HtCMR.jpg

Drove last night and this morning and even though I've only done the rear so far it does feel quite a bit nicer to drive. Ride is not too harsh.

I took some before measurements and height photos so will see how it all sits once it's finished.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I found that Sedan ultra low rears were spot on height wise for me in my old VZ. KHRL-46sL HD, went through a few springs to find that out though. If you dig though my old VZ thread (not Maloo) you'll see some pics of the height.

Nice work on the line bending too, car must feel new with all the upgrades on it now.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
I found that Sedan ultra low rears were spot on height wise for me in my old VZ. KHRL-46sL HD, went through a few springs to find that out though. If you dig though my old VZ thread (not Maloo) you'll see some pics of the height.

Nice work on the line bending too, car must feel new with all the upgrades on it now.
Thanks mate, had a look through that thread but unfortunately looks like all the pics links are dead now.
I would guess KHRL-46SL HD from a sedan would be slightly lower than what I have now, maybe another 2cm or so. I went with KHRL-46 which is ute ultra low and may be a little bit firmer than a sedan spring. Will see how it settles and can always go a bit lower if I need to. The hard part is getting the original springs out, didn't even need compressors to get these new ones in so swapping them around shouldn't be too hard in future.

Have only done the rear end so far, haven't started the front yet, but It does feel a lot better to drive already. It may be a placebo effect but it actually feels like it's got a bit more grip in the rear end, drove it hard and didn't break traction as much as normal. The ride is not too harsh either. My old VZ SS sedan was slammed as low as possible when I got it and I had to actually raise it up a bit, but they do feel a lot nicer to drive when low. I think it gives more confidence if nothing else as you don't feel the whole body roll in corners.

I will try and get the fronts done this weekend if I can, think should be a bit quicker than the rear after sorting out all my issues on the rear end :D

I also have 1 more surprise for the ute I don't think I've mentioned yet but won't post it until I have it.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Thats frustrating, I'll go back and fix em all. For reference for anyone else that wants to know. Fronts are H&R lowered springs which equated roughly to a 50mm drop (superlows).

Ute ultra lows in the rear
njKHUts.jpg

Sedan Ultra lows
XqpcxO8.jpg

Last edited: