Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Timing Chain...( sigh...)

Andy96

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz sv6
Morning all.

Had timing chain replaced on my 05 sv6, 20169 kms ago...and something has failed .
I suspect incorrect kit was put in, but as " the car is well outside our warranty on mileage..) 169 kilometers? Initial repairer is denying liability ..of course.
My question is ...where can I find the chain specs on the kit that was put in, and same for the genuine part? Holdden have 2 kits based on the year. Every shop /distributor I've spoken to have two kits as well . Nobody other than holden wants the engine number ...and yet have been offered different part numbers ( from the same aftermarket manufacturer) GMTK30, and GMTK31, on multiple occasions. And yet...nobody that wants to sell me the parts, can tell me what the difference is..
I have the aftermarket kit number that was put in ( GMTK30 ) and the Holden part number (92509866) but want to know if there's a difference in the chain size...because this is gonna get ugly...
Thanks

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Sounds like a **** sandwich of a situation to be in. Hopefully you can get to the bottom of it. Good luck.

Andy96

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz sv6
Sounds like a **** sandwich of a situation to be in. Hopefully you can get to the bottom of it. Good luck.
Thanks, Bud. But if there's no satisfaction from the company that " fixed " it, every email will be posted..including photo's taken on the day..

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
It's best to tell the mechanic your build date. That's found on the ID plate alongside the VIN. Most reputable mechanics can order the kit by the VIN, but that's only going to tell them the build date of your car, which they'll take to a parts supplier like Veales or Bursons to order the part.

What's probs happened is they assume that all LY7 Alloytecs are the same, without actually realising that there were recalls done to change the entire timing chain assembly for these engines due to shitty updates at GM's end, and that there were small, six-monthly iterative changes. Holden's pretty shitty at communicating these to mechanics. :/

If the mechanic keeps giving you hell, take the case to DMIRS Consumer Protection.