Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz timing chain

TonyKaragiozis

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore
Hi, i'm trying to replace timing chain on alloytec engine. I'm following these instructions Alloytech-VACC.pdf. I cant get the timing marks to align at the 1st stage. After much work I aligned the top secondary LH like this:

20160507_200646.jpg

But the primary chain is not aligned according to instructions.

20160507_200708.jpg

is there another way to replace timing chains. I accidentally turned the crankshaft counter-clockwise and it seemed to skip some teeth on the primary chain. What do I do, to get the timing correct?

tonynadds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Senator
Hi Tony
I've recently done the chains on my sons VZ ,using the same procedure you're using .I had a bit of trouble getting my head around it ,but after talking to my mechanic It was a lot clearer.
First of all the most important thing is to have your LH cam sprocket links lined up with the L on the sprockets and the RH chain links lined up with the R on the sprockets .also you must have the little dot that is at one of you crankshaft sprocket teeth lined up about 5 o'clock there will also be a mark on the oil pump housing . (it took me about 10 rotations to get them all aligned) .when you have these aligned that is stage one. Don't worry too much about the intermediate sprockets as you can loosen them and spin to line up with the links easy when you are fitting the new chains, or the primary chain, as you can line up all links when you are fitting the new chain. then put your cam shaft locking tool on the left cam shafts. Take out tensioners ,guides and chains off .Fit your chains to the LH camshaft, then your primary chain (matching up the shiny links as per the picture in the procedure) , don't put your RH chain on yet .once you have all the links lined up and your new tensioners and guides fitted to the left hand side , take your locking tool out and rotate the crank shaft until the little dot lines up about 9:00 0clock again there should be a mark on the housing to line up to. once you've got that done put both your locking tools in .you know if your in the correct position if the locking tools go on with out having to rotate the r/h shafts too much to get the tools on .fit the RH chains lining up the shiny links with the R on the cam shafts then fit you tensioners and guides . once you've got everything on check that all the chains and sprockets are lined up the same as the stage two picture on the procedure .
Take your cam locking tools off and rotate the crank a few good full rotations and if it rotates easy and feels all good you should be ok.

I'm not a qualified mechanic Tony but this is how I did it and the motor purrs like a kitten now .
Good Luck

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
where can I get the locking tools from

TonyKaragiozis

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore
Thanks guys I completed the job ok, but I wish I could do it again because I did some mistakes. If you are going to do this job get the gears as well and also replace oil pump. If you have pulled pin out of tensioner's you can re-compress them by using flat screwdriver and turning it inwards and re-inserting the pin (make sure you line it up with flat spot on shaft).

bayley3.8

Reaction score
Members Ride
bt1 vt wagon
wow i actually didnt think you would be able to physicaly see the stretch thats crazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Just wondering what the total cost of the timing chain and gaskets and (special tools)
So everything associated with the job?

I'm tossing up whether to do a engine transplant of fix the problem

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
Just wondering what the total cost of the timing chain and gaskets and (special tools)
So everything associated with the job?

I'm tossing up whether to do a engine transplant of fix the problem
ook on ebay about $800

TonyKaragiozis

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore
Bought the timing kit for $584 (basic kit includes chains/tensioners/gaskets)
$44 for cam tools. I got it from ebay, aprox $630 total. Took me 1 weekend.