Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Tow Bar/Ball/Tongue

VZCommodoreAcclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore Acclaim
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what part I need to acquire to be able to tow a trailer?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2116 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_2116 (800x600).jpg
    150 KB · Views: 1,116

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
You will need the tongue the ball the pin to hold the tongue in and the bolt to hold it firm I think it was repo had the tongue on special for 50 bucks. And ya might need the plug loom if its not in the boot already. It might pay to have a look in the spare wheel well it might be in there if you have just got ya ar I carry my tounge and loom in there in my wagon.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Bit hard to tell.
You might have to crawl under the car and see if it has a manufacturers label on it some where.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
From the photograph supplied, it appears that it is a Hayman Reese Towbar with a 'hitch receiver' slot. These are usually a standard 50mm square. What weight are you considering towing? the Commodore is rated at between 1600 - 2100 DEPENDING on the rating of the towbar hence the reason you were asked to hop underneath and check out the rating sticker that all towbars are required by law to have installed. Yours looks like it might have had a bit of a hard life. Why not call into a towbar installer/manufacturer and get them to check it over for you. They can attest to it's suitability and weight bearing capacity. They could most likely also provide all that is needed to connect a trailer - perhaps even secondhand at a fair price.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Check the towbar stamp underneath, i bought a towbar (no tongue) from the wreckers, which was an official 'Holden' towbar but is made from Hayman Reece, the 50mm slot is the same except the pin that goes through to secure it is at a different location than standard Hayman Reece towbars, which even ISP confirmed when looking for the tongue for it.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
It might pay to have a look in the spare wheel well it might be in there if you have just got ya ar
This is a good point, is it hidden in any of your boot compartments?

Check the towbar stamp underneath, i bought a towbar (no tongue) from the wreckers, which was an official 'Holden' towbar but is made from Hayman Reece, the 50mm slot is the same except the pin that goes through to secure it is at a different location than standard Hayman Reece towbars, which even ISP confirmed when looking for the tongue for it.
This is also critical, the two holes must line up perfectly, different manufacturers put the hole in different locations, so try before you buy. Otherwise you'll get a tongue that fits but you won't be able to get the pin through. Just go down the wreckers. Couldn't be more than $20-$30 for a tongue and ball only.

And yes, that sticker on the top is definitely the Hayman Reese logo so you would think it is a Hayman Reese. http://www.haymanreese.com.au/