Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Trans into VR

TimI94VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Berlina 3.8
Hey guys I was sold a vz auto transmission to go into my VR V6, my current trans is a 6HDD (out of a vs) but I’ve been given a 5HHD (vz). Is there any way to adapt it or am I shagged?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
To my understanding the VZ trans is a totally different bolt pattern, thus why the VY Adventra was only released as an 8 Cylinder while when the VZ came about this model was sold in both 6 and 8 Cylinder configuration as the Alloytec has the same bolt pattern as the Gen 3 all alloy V8.

Cost effect wise you'd be best getting either another 6HDD (from a 96 car) or a 7HDD which would've come out of a 1997 VS, this way there will be no modifications required and no issues to deal with.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
the Alloytec has the same bolt pattern as the Gen 3 all alloy V8.

Alloytec and LS are different. HFV6 has it's own and LS are a variation on the Chev V8.

OP, even if an adapter existed it would still cost less than the adapter to just buy the correct gearbox.

Last edited:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
So why did they not hook the X system up to the Ecotec if the Alloytec and LS are different again to each other ? as that's the excuse we were given by Holden why the X6 was not an option in the VY variant of the Adventra.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
IDK, at a guess it would have been for two reasons. First and probably the most important was that it looks like the Ecotec was never used in any AWD/4WD application in anything else, so no off the shelf AWD gearbox or engine management (or if they did in the states it would have almost certainly been transversely mounted). The functionality of the Ecotec ECUs are largely unchanged from the introduction of the Ecotec (and even then they seem to share a lot of similarities with the VN-VR ECUs). This would have meant that Holden would have had to develop the AWD capability for the engine/ECU on their own or adapt other ECUs to an existing model in the middle of production. Looks like the HFV6 was developed with this in mind, it's in a bunch of AWD stuff that mounts it longitudinaly. Second reason after taking the first into account, they were gonna ditch the Ecotec in the next series so why sink all that money into the dev for just the VY, particularly as the Adventra was introduced a full year after VY production started.

Last edited:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Very valid points about Ecotec software development.