Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz turbo

Smittylsd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Hey guys I’ve just picked up a turbo n manifold for my vz, also have a cam here and looking at really building this car to have abit of fun , has anyone got any good suggestions on how to go on this ?, what else would I really need for this project to work out ?

H

harrop.senator

V8?

Torque converter , pushrods , valve springs , billet dual roller timing set , tap the sump for return , custom leads usually for clearance , injectors , fuel pump , wastegate , wastegate screamer or plumb back , dump pipe and twin 3" or custom single 4.5"

Who made the manifolds and what turbo is it?

Smittylsd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
V8?

Torque converter , pushrods , valve springs , billet dual roller timing set , tap the sump for return , custom leads usually for clearance , injectors , fuel pump , wastegate , wastegate screamer or plumb back , dump pipe and twin 3" or custom single 4.5"

Who made the manifolds and what turbo is it?
V6
Was passed down from a brothers mate who had it on his vz , turbo is from mace performance apparently I was sent a screenshot , came with dump and other piping, but still need to buy an intercooler ? Not sure on what one tho thinking eBay ... it’s a decent sized turbo

H

harrop.senator

Never seen mace sell a turbo especially for a vz. Are you sure it's not a side mount supercharger? Lol.

Smittylsd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Never seen mace sell a turbo especially for a vz. Are you sure it's not a side mount supercharger? Lol.
This is the screenshot I got I had to make it smaller but it’s off the mace site

Attachments

• F7776ADC-F98B-4F10-8EFD-8F56ECC03E29.jpeg
    F7776ADC-F98B-4F10-8EFD-8F56ECC03E29.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 139
H

harrop.senator

I've never seen mace sell turbos. That's one of the cheapest Chinese turbos I've seen and a a universal intercooler pipe kit.

I wouldn't touch the turbo I've had cheap turbos cost a motor.

Have you got the exhaust manifolds?

Smittylsd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
I've never seen mace sell turbos. That's one of the cheapest Chinese turbos I've seen and a a universal intercooler pipe kit.

I wouldn't touch the turbo I've had cheap turbos cost a motor.

Have you got the exhaust manifolds?
Thanks for your help.. yes I do have the exhaust manifold

H

harrop.senator

Dump pipe to twin 2.5" bolt on exhaust will work with some tricky pipe work.

You don't need a wastegate or screamer it's internally gated.

I'd assumed V8 as you said a cam. I'd be running aftermarket valve springs and a hd timing kit.

You'll need, fuel pump, injectors and possibly a rail set up I don't know how well the alloytec flows. It looks decent.

Unsure if can mafless tune a vz , you may need to run it draw through not blow through. Unsure if the plastic will hold boost.

You'll need to fabricate an intake pipe.

Tee off the oil pressure switch for oil feed , tap sump for return. Tee into the heater hoses for cooling.

Buy an intercooler if don't have one , possibly trim Reo support to fit.

Even with the cams , that turbo , the manifold , and intercooler pipes you'll be looking at close to five if you can't weld.

Tunes $1200
Injectors $4-500
Pump $200
Fittings and lines to run to the turbo $250-200
Timing chain kit $600
Valve springs $500
$1000 in dump and intake fabrication if can run to a twin cat system or one big cat branching into 2 again.
$600 for a new car back $200 used

There's close to 5k. At that point may as well run a decent turbo there's $9-1400.