Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Ute airbag error

Pezvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ute
I have just bought my first ute ever, an '06 VZ. But I get an SRS airbag alarm every time I start it. The guy who sold it to me told me that he had replaced the instrument cluster from a VZ sedan and the alert was because it couldn't detect any rear airbags. I have read that even Holden shops can't clear the error because it's a safety thing. First question - is the missing back seats likely to be the problem? Second question - how do I fix the alarm? Third bonus question - how can I be sure the existing airbags are functional without doing a full test (ie crashing the car)?
Thanks

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The cluster is easily reflashed to be set up to the ute. Envyous Customs do it. They are forum sponsors and have a section in the forum front page.you can also go to their webpage for more info.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
In relation to the airbags, check the fuses for continuity with a multimeter. Disconnect the battery first.

Pezvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ute
The cluster is easily reflashed to be set up to the ute. Envyous Customs do it. They are forum sponsors and have a section in the forum front page.you can also go to their webpage for more info.
Thanks Fu Manchu, I will check them out.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have just bought my first ute ever, an '06 VZ. But I get an SRS airbag alarm every time I start it. The guy who sold it to me told me that he had replaced the instrument cluster from a VZ sedan and the alert was because it couldn't detect any rear airbags. I have read that even Holden shops can't clear the error because it's a safety thing. First question - is the missing back seats likely to be the problem? Second question - how do I fix the alarm? Third bonus question - how can I be sure the existing airbags are functional without doing a full test (ie crashing the car)?
Thanks
As for the airbags being tested, this can be done by using a GM Tech 2 connected to the cars OBD port under the steering wheel.
That is done by a garage or Holden.
Lets do the basic stuff first.

1. Check fuses
2. Get the cluster correctly set up to the vehicle.
3. Use a Tech2 module to further investigate any recurring faults (not just reread codes)