Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ ute exterior LED's

HamishVZute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
Ok i got a vz ute but its a six and dont have the ss or storm etc. bodykit therefore being no wiring for the fog lights. (I just have black caps where the foggies should be). I bought these led's but didn't think to check if the wiring was there so i could wire the led strips up and stick them on the bumper somewhere. Just wondering if it's possible to run them off the existing wiring to the headlights and if so what wires would i run them off? Any feedback would be amazing if it's possible, cheers Hamish. :)

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
This should help you.
The park light wire you need to tap into is "Brown".
You will find that wire in the head light loom behind the light assembly. (either left or right side, doesn't matter).

CORRECTION:
I have said in this diagram; "This is the standard way you would install driving lights".
This is incorrect. Driving lights must be wired to the High Beam, not the park lights.

HamishVZute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
So both wires from the led get tapped into the brown cable leading to the headlights?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Not sure what you mean there.
What the diagram describes is that the park light wire is switching the relay on to turn on the lights.
The positive sides of the lights are joined together and connected to one side of the relay (Pin 87). The earth sides of the lights are connected to ground (car body).
The other side of the relay is connected to the + side of the battery (Pin 30).

Here is how to connect the wires on a standard 4 pin relay.
Pin 85.....Earth.
Pin 86.....Park light wire (Brown).
Pin 30.....Constant + 12 volts.
Pin 87.....Led lights.

Pins 85 and 86 can be swapped around and Pins 30 and 87 can be too. It doesn't matter.

When the relay is fired by the park lights, the contacts on the relay close allowing voltage from the battery to power the lights.

HamishVZute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
Hmm I'm sure this is pretty straight forward but I'm still abit sceptical of how to do it haha :(. Is it as easy as telling me what coloured wires to connect the led wires to?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Yes it is :)
Look, seeing you are only running low current Led's, it would be fine just to wire them straight to the park light wires.
The amount of extra current draw would be hardly noticeable. It wouldn't even be half an amp for both Leds
The relay set up is normally used if you are running high power lights, such as driving lights, fog lights etc.

All you need to do is find the positive wire of the leds by testing it on the car's battery. You wont hurt the Leds if you connect it the wrong way around.
Tap that one into the brown park light wire behind the head light and connect the earth wire of the led's to a good earth point near where you have mounted the Leds.

Sorry to have confused you with all the technical babble.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I installed DRL's on the VY yesterday, ran
all new wiring through the firewall and
tapped an ignition sourced wire, with a
switch added so that I can have them on
without the parkers/lights on and they'll
turn off with the ignition, in case I
forget and leave them turned on.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
That's cool, either way. :)
The way I described allows all the wiring to stay in the engine bay without having to run wires into the cab. (A separate switch could be added if required)
But they will also turn off automatically with the park/head lights when the door is opened if the head light switch is left on.
So really, they are just an extension of the head lights and can't be left on accidently.

HamishVZute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
Also the parkers wont turn on now haha woops! Might just be a terminal is loose or something would you have any idea what it could be?