Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ ute full sound system upgrade

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Hey buddy, that’ll be a tidy little setup you’ll have there.

Usually when I’m doing crossovers in a Commodore, my crossover gets mounted in the kick panels of each side. This is also the easiest place to intercept the wiring. There is absolutely no benefit to running new wiring from the Headunit to the door speakers.

I tend to intercept the speaker wires at the plug leading into the door. I’ll extend them a few inches so they can easily feed into the xover and then just run a new wire straight up to the new tweeter instead of trying to resuse that wiring.

On the headunit, you’ll have the ability to apply a HPF (high pass filter) to the door speakers and a LPF (low pass filter) Do so. This will remove the bass from the door speakers and the high frequencies from the sub. Allowing the speakers to only deal with frequencies they are designed for.

I’d probably try setting the HPF and LPF to somewhere between 80-100Hz. Choose whatever sounds better to you.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Hey, thanks for the advice @Tasmaniak really appreciated. I'll check out the HPF and LPF settings on the head unit when I get it. the amp for the sub has a X-Over Low/High setting, so i've put that on low as well. Kick panels sounds like a good spot to put the crossovers. I'm planning to just find somewhere accessible enough to cut the factory wiring, put some blade connectors on it, and then connect my crossover that way. If I ever want to remove the speakers, should be easy enough to undo this way, as all the factory wiring will remain in the doors. My crossovers are all pre-wired for the woofers and tweeters, just need to connect the input to the factory wire then I should be good to go there.

One thing I'm not 100% sure on is the remote power wire for the amp, I've run it up to behind the head unit, and I can see that there is a blue/white cable on my ISO cable harness for remote power, then another blue cable sharing the same connector which might be for power antenna? I was planning to just connect my remote power on to this wire, does anyone know if that should be fine?

Still waiting for my head unit, so can't finish up the install yet, but I think I've got the hard part done now. All my are cables run under the carpets and plastics and hidden completely until they get behind the seat. Amp is held down pretty well with velcro and the sub box is just sitting there, but it's wedged in such a way that it won't budge even a few mm, pretty much perfect size for this spot.

QpOFh7z.jpg

I pretty much fulled cleaned and washed the carpets after taking the seats out and I also re-conditioned the leather while I had easy access, which has added a lot of time to the job, but worth doing for me.

I might have a few more questions when the head unit arrives in the post, hopefully today or tomorrow, before the weekend, then I will try to finish it off on Saturday and see how it sounds!

Cheers

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Hooked up my head unit tonight after work, everything working nicely except one of the steering wheel buttons. I'm not sure how to fix this issue, so would appreciate any suggestions please.

I've gone into the settings and set each of the controls for the steering wheel, but the issue I'm having is that both volume up and volume down seem to register as the same button, however this was working fine on the factory head unit so I don't think it's the buttons. If I set it as vol down, then both the vol up and vol down on the steering wheel do the same thing, if I change it to vol up, they both do the same thing.

yQ8MDeR.jpg

There is an error on the dash when i try to configure the second button "Can't select same steering button." As everything else works, i'm not sure how to fix this.

3tjT7Ei.jpg

This is what I have connected.

Head unit > Sony to ISO > ISO to holden
The cables into the control box for the steering wheel controls only fit one way, then all I did was run the 3.5mm to my head unit, I didn't connect the ground or key1/key2 so I am not sure if this is required.

https://aerpro.com/fp9056k
https://aerpro.com/app8sp3

Any ideas? Thanks

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Figured out my steering controls, I had not connected the ground for it so that was an easy fix.

Have connected my reverse cam now too, and it works fine when I use the reverse camera button on the head unit but does not come on automatically when I put the car in reverse. It's a manual so I am not sure how the head unit would even know I've put it in reverse. It's just connected to the 12v ACC cable from the head unit, and the ground, as well as the RCA video in. According to the manual, this should work when the car goes into reverse, anyone know how to get that working? Thanks

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Got the rest of my issues sorted out, all working sweet now. Just need to tidy up the wiring a bit then can put it all back together.

Took a bit more effort than I thought to install, but satisfying to do it myself.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Good stuff.

Now to the most important bit.....how does it sound ?

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Good stuff.

Now to the most important bit.....how does it sound ?
Will report back on that once I get a chance to listen to it properly, so far I've just quickly tested it, the head unit isn't even fully installed back in the car yet.

I also put in a switch this morning to stop the antenna going up automatically with the head unit.

here's what's left to tidy up.
FfQB3nm.jpg

Last thing left to do is find a nice place to run my reverse camera wire out of the cab, and down to the back of the ute. I was thinking of going out through the firewall behind the glovebox, then down and along the frame to the back, as long as it doesn't get too close to the headers it should be fine, the cable is plenty long enough. If not, I will have to run it out the back through the tray. I did get some conduit/ducting to run along with it and try to protect it a bit.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
if anyone is interested in a full how-to i could write something up, so let me know. it was all actually pretty easy, probably only made more difficult by my shitty cheap bunnings wire stripper and crimper. the hardest part was deciphering the instructions and knowing what wires to cut, taking the car apart is the easy part.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just be careful with those spade lugs, be worth wrapping them in tape. Because they don't fully cover like bullet lugs they can short out as I have found.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Just be careful with those spade lugs, be worth wrapping them in tape. Because they don't fully cover like bullet lugs they can short out as I have found.
hey man thanks for that, they will all be taped back up when i put it in properly, some of them you can see are wrapped in tape already, but the ones i've been plugging and unplugging for testing i've left untaped for ease of access

i was only using those because i ran out of the red bullet plugs in my little starter kit, which i preferred over the spades.