Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ UTE - Slimline Subs/Interior Modifications

white.thunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder S
I feel like i've seemingly gone through every thread on the internet and not found what i'm looking for...

For some background info, all the information relates to an install into a 06 VZ Thunder S ute, of which I will be taking delivery this coming Saturday (unbelievably excited).

I'd like some opinions on slimline subs, and their positioning within a ute. I know the VZ has some space underneath and behind the drivers seat... Now I dont want a continuous back massage from my subwoofer and I dont want my ass jumping off the seat either, will I get either of these effects from an underseat or behind-the-seat subwoofer? Keeping in mind I will NOT be aiming to let everyone know I have a subwoofer, its just for some personal enjoyment while cruising...

The second question involves some linterior work.. I've gone through some threads on here and there are some seriously sweet looking cars.. I'm wondering what I might attack first in terms of interior make-over... I'm not particularly frustrated with what I've got - but some small mods will be nice.. Thanks in advance

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
1st of all, put the sub behind the passenger seat. go to your local jb hifi or auto barn and they should have pre made boxes and subs for utes or slimline boxes, there should be a large selection to choose from.

2nd, interior mods, have a look at my ride thread and you will see my painted dash, definately worth it, makes it look 10000x better. ASR also do interior light mods that allow you to change the colour of the dash lighting and ac controls to what ever colour you want. get rid of the stock head unit also, put in an aftermarket one with a pocket, definately better sound just by doing that. if you have anymore Q's, just ask and welcome to the forum :)

jdrVZute

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Vee Zed Ute
Hi mate. I've got a 12" Sony Xplod slimline sub in my VZ ute. I don't recommend putting it behind the drivers seat, it's uncomfortable. Put it behind the passengers seat as they have more room because of no pedals. Also if you already haven't, change the headunit, you will get a way better, clear sound out of you sub and speakers. Stock headunits suck :p

Devils_Thunder

Riding high...
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2010 Captiva.....
Hi man i have a 10 inch slim behind my drivers seat, im also 6 foot 4 and am still able to move the seat around. i have the amp under the passenger seat, didn't put the sub behind it because the jack and handle were in the way.

I wouldn't recommend the pre-made boxes, make your own it will fit in a lot easier

Rob.

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
I just chucked a Fusion amp/sub combo under the passenger seat with a few screws. It has the amp built into it and puts out the same amount of power as a good 10 inch. It cost about $280 from Autobarn (on special). I also put in 4 Pioneer speakers, I'm doing the head unit soon as the stock unit distorts badly. Might throw in a speaker amp to get the windows shaking.

white.thunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder S
Hi man i have a 10 inch slim behind my drivers seat, im also 6 foot 4 and am still able to move the seat around. i have the amp under the passenger seat, didn't put the sub behind it because the jack and handle were in the way.

I wouldn't recommend the pre-made boxes, make your own it will fit in a lot easier

Rob.

Firstly, nice looking car bro ;)

Secondly, so the box behind your seat doesn't give you a bad massage? And you made your own? Sounds impressive did you just knock some wood together or did you get some advice in regards to size and sound etc?

white.thunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder S
1st of all, put the sub behind the passenger seat. go to your local jb hifi or auto barn and they should have pre made boxes and subs for utes or slimline boxes, there should be a large selection to choose from.

2nd, interior mods, have a look at my ride thread and you will see my painted dash, definately worth it, makes it look 10000x better. ASR also do interior light mods that allow you to change the colour of the dash lighting and ac controls to what ever colour you want. get rid of the stock head unit also, put in an aftermarket one with a pocket, definately better sound just by doing that. if you have anymore Q's, just ask and welcome to the forum :)

Nice interior mods mate, like them a lot... Looks like I'll have to spray my dash - you did just spray paint it yeh?

vex

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s2
Ive got mine in the tray under the fuel tank trap door (front of the tray). There are vents there that go straight behing the passanger seat and i get a nice amount of bass (i dont listen to doof doof ##### beats though) cost me next to nothin for some thick wood to make the L shape box.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Nice interior mods mate, like them a lot... Looks like I'll have to spray my dash - you did just spray paint it yeh?

yep, no primer, just a quick sand with 1000 grit wet n dry, clean with dishwashing liquid, after it is completely dry, wiped over with thinners, and then spray. prob would be better if you use primer though

VZ-Rob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS-Ute06
Ive got mine in the tray under the fuel tank trap door (front of the tray). There are vents there that go straight behing the passanger seat and i get a nice amount of bass (i dont listen to doof doof ##### beats though) cost me next to nothin for some thick wood to make the L shape box.
:thumbsup:
Best position ever. took a 1/2 day to knock up and installed. (there's plans here somewhere) I put a mesh speaker grill over the holes into the cab.
Bass Sounds loud and deep! (12" pioneer + 300watt orion amp)