Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

barra218

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Ute
Hi all. Its been a while since I've done anything on this site! (Had my ute for well over 2 years and haven't even done a thread for it yet!) But anyway here goes something!

Ok! So I decided to write up a build of the sound system I'm doing in my vz sv6 ute at the moment! It will be replacing an old system that most people probably would have been happy with in a ute but when it comes to speakers it takes a lot to make me happy so lets see how this one goes! :p

My first task was to fully strip the inside of the ute from the gearstick back which really uncovered the mess my ute was currently in!

After a clean up I was ready to get going.

I started by measuring up what room I had behind the seats and built the biggest boxes i could to minimize the loss of leg room. I was originally building boxes to fit 2 pioneer slimline 10" subs but upon realizing i could fit full size 10s I ditched the pioneers and started trolling for what i could fit.

I ended up finding some kicker solo baric 10s for cheap as on ebay (the 2009 round model not the squares sadly.) The reason i opted for these is because they were shallow enough for my boxes and were designed to operate in small enclosures about 18L which mine just about are!

Anyway back to the build.. You might be thinking... Why did he pull out the back carpet? Well! Thats where this build gets exciting... And very ambitious. I would like to point out that Although i am a tradie, I'm a fitter and turner and do absolutely nothing to do with wood so this should give any diy'er some hope! all you need is the right tools, some time and plenty of patience!

So heres the surprise! Ive removed the carpet and made it redundant as I am mounting the subs and a set of splits in my own made false wall to give a real nice clean look. Heres my boxes mounted behind the bottom section.

Now to get the profile of the board was the hard part. In the photo you can see paper and a staper and scissors amoungst other things. Basically what i did was draw, cut and staple pieces of paper and cardboard together until i was happy with the shape. then i transferred that to mdf and cut away with a jigsaw.

The same was done with the top.

I done it in 4 pieces just to make it easier. They were all connected with pieces of wood and steel later on.

Now.. Today is when the build got exciting as all this showed up!

I was like a little kid at Christmas, Easter and birthday all combined! I had also picked up carpet and some contact adhesive from bunnings aswel.

After a little cutting, measuring, routing, drilling and filling this is what i had come up with for the top and bottom of my false wall.

Next came the carpet for the bottom. Top will have to wait till tomorrow as i ran out of the glue pretty quick!

All wiring was run (pulling 1 Ohm) and subs were fixed in and fitted (very very slowly) into the car. This was the end result for today!

As you can imagine, I'm very happy with my results so far! Didn't think i was capable at the start of this week. Certainly proved myself wrong so far!

You will be pleased to know the box has only cost me around $110 and maybe 10 hours of labor so far. At the end of the build i will be able to put up a full cost figure for some comparison.

I'll leave you all today on this note.. Who said you can't have a mind blowing sound system in a ute!

Hopefully I'll have good updates on the build tomorrow!

Last edited:

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Nice job mate although you need to clean out your ute more often ;) Where about are you mounting your amp(s)?

barra218

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Ute
Nice job mate although you need to clean out your ute more often ;) Where about are you mounting your amp(s)?

Yeah I did go through a bit of a lazy spout haha. Not totally sure yet man. One is definitely going under the passanger seat, the other may have to cram under there somehow as well cause it aint fitting under the driver seat! Guess I'll figure that all out tomorrow anyway!

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
A slimline something in that little cavity between the subs maybe?

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Looking good mate. But have you got a speaker mounted right behind your head?

barra218

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Ute
A slimline something in that little cavity between the subs maybe?

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Trouble is I already have my amps.

Looking good mate. But have you got a speaker mounted right behind your head?

Haha. Was waiting for someone to point it out. Yeah I do. Was worried just 1 set in the front wouldn't be able to keep up with the subs and also o like the fill from behind. Though I think I'm going to have to set fader to like +10 front haha. Am planning on keeping some earplugs in the car incase I want to turn it right up though.

Tweetbix

Reaction score
Members Ride
Evo VI
Possibly mount the amps on the rear firewall behind the false wall.
Just cut a bit out of the false wall and make it into a door so the amps are reachable.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

barra218

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Ute
Possibly mount the amps on the rear firewall behind the false wall.
Just cut a bit out of the false wall and make it into a door so the amps are reachable.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I had considered that option but not enough room! Ended up going with both under passenger seat. the sub amp will stick out the back but eh.

barra218

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Ute
Ok so heres my update for today!

Didn't get a whole lot done today as i slept in and it rained all morning making the job heaps more difficult but heres what i got done!

put carpet on the top piece, installed it and done wiring for speakers.

Also hooked the amps up and gave it its first squirt! fairly safe to say i will be needing to keep ear plugs in the car! Should all be done tomorrow so I'll give a final update then.