Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ ute-starting point???

Burnie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute/VT Sedan
OK, well I am not the most financial member here, but I am looking at starting mods when the ute runs out of warranty, in 6 months time. So here are some questions, which maybe some of the tech heads amongst you may be able to answer.

1. I know there are small gains in power and fuel consumption to be had by using premium unleaded.

2. IF I change the airfilter element to one of the allegedly better flowing filter elements, does this mean that the increased airflow comes at the price of allowing more airborne crud into the system due to higher porosity of the filter element????

3. Is there any advantage to running full synthetic oil, in terms of reduced friction. If so are there any downsides. I change oil at 5000 kms intervals

Thanks all.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
OK, well I am not the most financial member here, but I am looking at starting mods when the ute runs out of warranty, in 6 months time. So here are some questions, which maybe some of the tech heads amongst you may be able to answer.

1. I know there are small gains in power and fuel consumption to be had by using premium unleaded.

2. IF I change the airfilter element to one of the allegedly better flowing filter elements, does this mean that the increased airflow comes at the price of allowing more airborne crud into the system due to higher porosity of the filter element????

3. Is there any advantage to running full synthetic oil, in terms of reduced friction. If so are there any downsides. I change oil at 5000 kms intervals

Thanks all.

1, yes, premium is better as it keeps the fuel system cleaner aswell as a small increase in power/economy

2, on the k & N you use a special oil coating on the element that the dirt sticks too, they are appantly make the air cleaner

3, full synthetic oil has its advantages as it also clean the internals of the engine and makes the oil changes less frequent as it lasts longer, ie you could change it every 7,500 if you do little km's on average

i started to run castrol edge 5w-30 full synthetic, they engine seems to run a little quieter and less harsh but when hot thins out too much for my liking and makes the engine a little clattery on startup for a second or two, so im going to switch to penrite sin 10, full synthetic 10w-70 next change at double the price:bang:

Kung-Foo-Kamel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom Hilux with a V6 Ecotec
Change the Air filter to a K&N and mod the air box

Go a set of HM Headers Extractors, they have a set that bolt onto the original cat/engine pipes, very quick and easy to fit

get your hands on a stock twin system from a Gen3 or 4 should be able to pick one up cheap, and use tail pipes instead of the rear muffler

You will get nice performance gain from that and a nice note as well

Next would be to change the diff to a 356 LSD usually bout $700 for a used one

Then get a custom tune ($1200 form Chipmasters)

I have used 5w full synthetic Castrol Edge since new and I change it every 5k as well, no issues at all, I did try 10w Semi once and it came out burnt after 5k so I never used it again

Cheers :)

KFK

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Why wait until it's out of warranty? Just curious...

Burnie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute/VT Sedan
Thanks for the replies guys.

I am an accountant by "trade", so naturally extremely cautious!!!!

Will head off to Supercheap for K&N. Plan to order spare airbox and Monaro shroud for 2 hole mod on Monday.

Moving to Castrol Edge full synthetic at next oil change .

There is a good article on tuning VZ Alloytec in new SC Mag (Maloo on front cover)

Next will shoot for HM Headers.

Will keep you posted
Burnie

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
get your hands on a stock twin system from a Gen3 or 4 should be able to pick one up cheap, and use tail pipes instead of the rear muffler

You will get nice performance gain from that and a nice note as well

I have used 5w full synthetic Castrol Edge since new and I change it every 5k as well, no issues at all, I did try 10w Semi once and it came out burnt after 5k so I never used it again

Cheers :)

KFK

with the castrol edge, when the engines hot do you notice that when you start it up after leaving it for like 10-20min that the engine (heads) tick for a few seconds, before i got my car it was always had magnatec used in it and i didnt notice it,

also i was thinking of putting a cat back ss ute exhaust, the wagon and ute are the same floor plan underneath i think, besides flowing better, would there be much differance noise wise do you reckon

Kung-Foo-Kamel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom Hilux with a V6 Ecotec
with the castrol edge, when the engines hot do you notice that when you start it up after leaving it for like 10-20min that the engine (heads) tick for a few seconds, before i got my car it was always had magnatec used in it and i didnt notice it,

also i was thinking of putting a cat back ss ute exhaust, the wagon and ute are the same floor plan underneath i think, besides flowing better, would there be much differance noise wise do you reckon

If you drive the car normally most of the time then stick with Magnatech as its cheaper, just change it at least every 7500k, if you tend to flog your car a bit then use the 5w full synthetic, its better oil and wont cook as easy, I thrash the backside out of my Ute and I change it every 5000k, Magnatech wouldnt hold up but the Edge does

With the exhaust, if its a stock Gen3 twin system just use the middle mufflers and get a twin tail pipe made up for it. Its not to loud but does give it a little note, if you want it a little louder get the tail pipes made in 2.5 inch pipe

and yes the wagon/statesman/ute all have the same wheel base, the middle section is what differs to the standard sedan, so if you have a wagon then the ute or statesman middle mufflers will fit just fine

:)

KFK