Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ V6 Commodore starting issue

Jack07334

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Utility 3.8
Scroll down if you don’t want to read it all.

Making this due to not finding a thread with the exact same issue I’m having, could have missed it though.

Currently having a starting issue with my 2006 Holden VZ V6 Commodore Utility (145500kms) and has been a problem for 2-3 months. Issue only happens if the car has sat either overnight or 5+ hours. The issue is very hit or miss, sometimes the car will stall on initial start or will struggle for 2 seconds then go to normal revs. Other times it will start first go no problem. When the car stalls it will start 2nd go every time. ABS Fault sometimes comes up for a few seconds then goes away.

I put a new fuel pump, fuel filter, purge valve & spark plugs and no luck. Was also serviced 2 months before the issue began (September)

Have taken it to a mechanic and he suggested replacing the parts above besides plugs. He’s had it in his shop for 4 weeks in total (not all at once) and still hasn’t found the cause (Due to fitting me in unexpectedly and not having someone look at my car constantly as he has other customers) so that is why I’m making this thread to see if I can get any help on here.

A couple of things I’ve noticed that I never noticed before:

When I have my headlights ON and my head unit ON my headlights will go dim when using power windows (maybe something is draining and not enough vaults??)

Fuel pump sounds like it’s turning off or something when power windows are used, not sure if normal or not.

I’ve checked my battery a couple of times and these are the voltage readings I’ve gotten.

Off - 12.2v - 12.6v
Starting - 9.50v - 10v
Idle w/ accessories - 13.9v - 14.2v

For people who don’t want to read the entire thing:

Car starting having starting issues, replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, purge valve, plugs and no luck.

Any help is much appreciated.
P.S I’m not mechanically minded but will do as much as I can to figure out this problem.

Cheers,
Jack

Last edited:

KevRum

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore 2006 wagon
Hey, i have similar problem, also occured yesterday, as i was parked on steep hill nose down. Got there with 30min drive and parked for about 30mins, had to start car 3 times before it ran normally again...

Most of the startups are prefectly fine.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Your cranking volts are low, how old is the battery?

Jack07334

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Utility 3.8
Your cranking volts are low, how old is the battery?

Not sure as I’ve only owned the car since August, it is marked 2014 on the battery but don’t know if that’s how long it’s been in there for. Currently going down to get a new battery and will be cleaning the posts and terminals so will have an update soon.

Bardy-II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Test your alternator if your battery turns out fine, seen it happen a few times and it doesn't always chuck a DTC.
Faulty batteries/alternators wreaks havoc on interior electrical functions!

Jack07334

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Utility 3.8
Test your alternator if your battery turns out fine, seen it happen a few times and it doesn't always chuck a DTC.
Faulty batteries/alternators wreaks havoc on interior electrical functions!

Got the battery tested and it was buggered. Just put a new one in so I will see how it goes, so far it’s fine but it’s only been a few days. Thanks for your response mate

Jack07334

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Utility 3.8
Update: Car stalled this morning with the new battery then started it again with no issues, having my mechanic have a look and run a few test next week.