Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz V6 cooling issue

commo_lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6ltr exec/Vk Calais
Hi guy I have a VZ exec it overheats when under hard acceleration.. But when cruising its fine and temp sits between 1/4 - 1/2... Would it be the water pump or something more..
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
check your radiator cap, check level in radiator, bleed system as well, you may have a bit of an airlock, good starting point( very low cost too)

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Are you only using gauge to deem that it's overheating?

Get into the computer and check exact temp of coolant by "holding mode and set buttons on trip meter whilst starting car. Once started, release buttons and use mode to skip thru to degrees Celsius reading."

If it is overheating, as already said, you need to check cooling system items such as coolant condition, any leaks?, try new radiator cap etc. If no luck, get system pressure tested. Water pump may be on the way out too if cooling system hasn't been maintained well.

commo_lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6ltr exec/Vk Calais
Are you only using gauge to deem that it's overheating?

Get into the computer and check exact temp of coolant by "holding mode and set buttons on trip meter whilst starting car. Once started, release buttons and use mode to skip thru to degrees Celsius reading."
That's the first thing I did and it read 122 degrees... I can't see any visible leaks. Checked fluid levels already and its fine. Checked cap its good. Can say that is also has a coolant smell.. It's wired as it only happens on hard acceleration. Im going to try fluid flush and flush air out tomorrow if that dont work. I'm leaning towards water pump and/or thermostat...

sam_rizvi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SV6
Hi Commo_lover, I had same problem with my VZ sv6 and with same symptoms I.e. no leaks and over heating. Was slowly losing coolant too, fixed by changing coolant filler nevk cap. Original from holden costs $36 from memory. Try this first before taking the expensive route.

All the best.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

commo_lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6ltr exec/Vk Calais
Ok just bleed the cooling system found no air in it..at what temp are the thermo fan suppose to kick in I noticed that only the drivers side thermo kink in at 108c ain't both meant to be on or does the passengers side come on later

commo_lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6ltr exec/Vk Calais
Just hoping it ain't a thermostat problem as well as I'm not looking forward to pulling most of the top end apart

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
....Checked cap its good...

How did you check cap? A visual check will not reveal the pressure it holds when operating. I would purchase a new cap regardless of how it looks and then go from there. Eliminate items one by one.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
caps are cheap, if you can smell coolant, smells a bit like pepper, then you have a small leak somewhere near a very hot area

commo_lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6ltr exec/Vk Calais
Ok I found a very small hole in the radiator behind the thermo fans also found that the water pump hosing has a fracture in it so i will be replacing both and bleed the system then go from there. With any luck that fixes the problem.. Also thought about replacing thermostat in the process just to be sure..