Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ V6 ECU And Security Set Replacement (Replacements for Failed ECU, BCM, PIM)

Discussion in 'Envyous Customs' started by TazzI, Oct 16, 2015.

1. TazzI

TazzI Envyous Customs

Members Ride:
    VE SS Ute
    VZ V6 ECU/BCM/PIM Replacements

First off! My sole goal here is to provide affordable reset second hand ECU's ready to be linked in car
    or the full security set to be purchased for a simple and easy plug-n-play solution!.​

VZ V6 ECU/BCM/PIM Second hand Kits Available
    I have begun collecting VZ V6 ECU's along with matching PIM and BCM's including a coded Key.
    These security components can be purchased separately or in a plug-n-play security linked kit. Below is a couple pictures of these security sets.

Pricing is as follows:
    Linked ECU,PIM and PIM+Key with new case and blank insert -
    BCM + Key with new case and blank insert -
    Reset PIM -
    Reset ECU -
    *Resetting PIM/ECU mail service -

Whats wrong with the VZ V6 ECU/BCM/PIM's?
    Our Holden VZ V6 Commodores are notorious for the ECU to become faulty or completely fail! The BCM is also prone to failing relays, and the PIM can become corrupt also!
    Here in Perth WA, I get a phone call every second day about failing VZ ECU's or see a new posting on Gumtree/forums in regards to a VZ V6 ECU having issues, or they have the typical symptoms that indicate its going to fail soon!

There are 100's, and 100's of threads about the VZ V6 ECU becoming faulty and failing. Its unfortunately a VERY common issue which I think most V6 VZ's seem to get stung by at some point!

The NEXT most irritating and frustrating part, is there is absolutely ZERO useful information on the web in regards to this! There is alot of mystery with changing ECU's, but I want to put a stop to that, and will be putting up a "How To" document soon! (Link to go here when completed!).
    With so much useless information (And myths!) floating about,everyone gets stuck with forking out 1.1K to Holden for a new ECU, which is VERY expensive for our dear old VZ V6 Commodores!.

Why do the VZ V6 ECU/BCM/PIM fail?
    Normally, and most commonly it is the VZ V6 ECU that dies.
    When I have the ECU powered up on bench, it gets quite warm.. even hot after a while. So now imagine what happens when its bolted to the front of the engine exposed to the heat and weather! Its essentially a disaster waiting to happen!
    Ontop of that, I beleive the VZ V6 ECU plug is not 100% water proof, and seems that moisture due to wet roads or engine bay cleaning can lead to electrical shorts in the ECU causing failure.

Both BCM and PIM are unfortunately completely random. And can make it very hard to diagnose the issue as they cause major havoc with the whole system when they begin to fail!.

What are the common symptons/problems of a failing VZ V6 ECU/BCM/PIM?
    For the VZ V6 ECU, the following are a common indiction:
    -EXTREMELY rough idle, and struggles to run. Some injectors are not working (ECU pins have failed)
    -Powertrain Error and fuel gauge error on instrument cluster screen
    -Above errors and car fails to start, or starts intermittently
    -Service Vehicle Soon (SVS) error (Early sign, may not be related though)

For the BCM, the following are a common indication:
    -Keys do not unlock doors, or are intermittent
    -Indicators get stuck (Relays in BCM failing)
    -No communication from BCM on ALDL communication line.

For the PIM, the following are a common indication:
    -CAN Bus fault from BCM or ECU indicating the "gateway" device is not detected.
    -Temperature gauge not working with ignition on (Regardless if car turns over)

If anyone else has more common symptoms, let me know! These are just some of the ones I look out for.

How to replace a ECU/BCM/PIM
    I will link to a "how-to" guide once its made directly here: (Link to guide)

Overall the ECU, BCM and PIM need to all be security linked together in order for the car to start. The are the security protection of your vehicle to prevent theft!
    When replacing the ECU or PIM, the second hand ECU/PIM that is to be put into your car MUST be reset. If the security is not reset in the device, then you cannot link it to your car.
    Resetting these devices is no easy task, without the correct key, its nearly impossible to do as each incorrect entry causing a longer "timeout" delay before the next entry can be done (Up to 24hours).

This is why I am supply reset ECU's/PIM's ready for fitment and linking!

Have a question?!
    If you have a questions about any of this, please feel free ask away!

2. oilbyshug

oilbyshug New Member

Members Ride:
    vh/sle hz prem vr berlina vz Calais 190
    Hi tazzl
    have you got any further with this as I am over having to bridge the starter relay to start my vz calais....

3. TazzI

TazzI Envyous Customs

Members Ride:
    VE SS Ute
    Trying to!
    I have a few second hand security sets (BCM, PIM and ECU) here which I can reset when required to be ready for the next vehicle. Currently all my time is being focused on getting another software out but will update this thread soon!

4. kenrobertson

kenrobertson New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ crewman v6
    Hi TazzI, I have a VZ crewman, trying to set up ECU fron VZ "S", but all comes to quick stop. Please advise where I can get BCM/PIM/ECU & remotre key matched & price.
    Hopefully in Perth area.
    Thanks
    Ken

5. TazzI

TazzI Envyous Customs

Members Ride:
    VE SS Ute
    Hi Ken,

Lucky for you I am based in Perth as well. I will send you a PM in a moment.

Feel free to give me a call on my work number 0406140726

Regards,
    Jason
    (Western Australia)

6. nzv8farmer

nzv8farmer Member

Members Ride:
    SV6 04 VZ
    Hey mate,

What is a ecu worth? And once reset can they just be plugged in and go?

Cheers

7. aaron sheehan

aaron sheehan New Member

Members Ride:
    vq,vk,vs,vr
    how much for a reset ecu for a vzv6 2004,thanks aaron

8. dwae01

dwae01 New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Calais (sold), HSV Grange (sold), VZ Cross 6
    Here we are late 2017 and the problems continue. Many thanks to Tazzl for his valuable advice. Have been quoted $1400 from local Holden dealer for a new ecu but they are having trouble sourcing one. Currently investigating your TazzIs other two options. I have a T2 clone.
    If I have the appropriate numbers from the donor car how do I connect it to the T2 to clear it?
    You mention the need to have the IMMO for both the donor and recipient cars but do I need the BCM codes as well?

9. TazzI

TazzI Envyous Customs

Members Ride:
    VE SS Ute
    Honestly, its been some time since Iv mucked around with linking VZ V6 ECUs, which is why I tend to try write everything down when its fresh in my head for later review. Based on what Iv posted, you should get both the immob and BCM security keys to relink everything together.

I do recall only using the immob key when only linking the ECU, but relinking PIM or BCM required the BCM security keys also.

Now, the above 'assumes' you are even get this security information. My local dealerships would not provide them without proof of ownership of the car (Which were wrecks!). So I use my own applications to read security information from them.

Because dealerships dont give this information easily (And for good reason), the option I recommend to everyone is to purchase the full security set (ECU,PIM,BCM,keys) as you do not need to worry about any security codes or reprogramming.

The only thing you need to worry about, is ensuring the security set you purchased is from the same engine/trans/body type vehicle.

As always, these ECUs are prone to failure. Its not a matter of 'IF" they will fail, its a matter of "WHEN".
    Second hand parts may last 1month, 1year or 5years, who knows! The recommended option is a brand new ECU, but they will not always be available, so second hand will be the only way to go in years to come.

10. Sam76

Sam76 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vk 308
    I have a vz crewman with an ecu thats faulty...I have a spare vz executive which runs well am I able to simply swap ecu bcm and pim from one car to other without any programming or code and resets...cheers

11. SV666 Drew

SV666 Drew New Member

Members Ride:
    2010 SV6 VE Wagon

12. SV666 Drew

SV666 Drew New Member

Members Ride:
    2010 SV6 VE Wagon
    Not sure about switching a full set of modules between a crewman and executive but it should work in theory.
    If your mechanic is telling you that you need to replace coil packs or if your vz is doing dicky things like not opening or staring intermittantly, throwing multiple sensor faults, especially when the car is hot, try cleaning out the ecu connection lightly with compressed air and checking the terminals for corrosion or oxidisation before you go down the road of throwing parts or replacement modules.at it.
    I had the same problem with my vz's a few years ago. (I was running a fleet of 4 as work vehicles)
    Each ecu has a code on it which corresponds to the bcm, pim and key. From what I can remember, there are 20 something different codes and gazillions of key combinations. I bought used bcm's with matching codes that were reset but each time I had to get a Holden tech to reprogram them....and then I had to get my locksmith mate to reprogram the spare keys. All of this ends up super bloody expensive!
    A good option is to use a full set of ecu, bcm, pim and keys from a donor (I was paying about $600 + freight a set) but as Tazzl said...you can't be sure of:
    a. They work
    b. They will last
    AND, as most wrecks will only come with one key, you will have to pay for a spare key that's coded by a locksmith. All of this gets full on exxy when you have to do it more than once and on more than 1 vehicle!!
    Tazzl was right....the ecu's get hot! and mounting them on the front of the engine is the stupidest thing ever!
    After I'd been down the same road 4 times, I came up with the idea of making a shield that sat behind the ecu to shield it from the heat from the engine. I'm a leccy, so I used the back of an old switchboard (yes, it's asbestos) cut to be about 50-60mils bigger than the ecu each side...with a lil bit of tweaking to make it fit and longer bolts to hold it in place....never had a problem again!
    They all got traded so I can't attach a pic, but if you come across any white ve wagons with the ecu mounted on a small sheet of fibre board...that was me! lol
    I now run a 2010 SV6 wagon and I'm starting to notice that it'll throw weird fault codes, that don't log (ie. don't show up when you plug in a scan tool), when it's hot, wet, dusty or if I've given it a flogging.
    The ecu is mounted away from the engine block (Holden learned a lesson), but its off to the side of the engine bay and still gets exposed to heat, dust, moisture etc. I'm in the planning stage of making a box or shield for this.....I'll keep you posted.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  13. Lex

Lex Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VT Executive S1 V6 Auto Wagon
    Hi
    Are you able to relocate the ecu & mount it in the cabin? Your a leccy, you could cut & join the wires to mount the ecu just about any ware?
    Would that work?

14. SV666 Drew

SV666 Drew New Member

Members Ride:
    2010 SV6 VE Wagon
    Hi
    I did think about moving the ecu completely but there is bugger all slack in the wiring loom. Hence the bodgied up heat shield.
    Yeah, I'm a leccy, but NO WAY I would attempt to cut and join a wiring loom. The cables are tiny, hard to join and there are a butt load of them.....get one wrong and you run the risk of completely rooting your car.
    A leccy is a world away from a auto-electrician....I recently replaced a 7 pin plug on my trailer and managed to wire it in reverse on the first attempt...lol
    I reckon its best to shield the ecu from the engine heat....wiring looms come as a complete assembly for a reason.

15. dopeassmonkey

dopeassmonkey New Member

Hi, I found a place selling kits with ecu pim bcm and key. Thing is they have ones for my car (sv6 auto) but the numbers on the parts don't match.. I did see one for an adventra that had matching numbers. Would that work or do I need ones from the same car?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

16. Trev084

Trev084 Member

Members Ride:
    VS L67 6 Seat Wagon. 2005 VZ SV6
    Where was it from?

17. dopeassmonkey

dopeassmonkey New Member

They have em on eBay as kits

18. Trev084

Trev084 Member

Members Ride:
    VS L67 6 Seat Wagon. 2005 VZ SV6
    What is wrong with yours?

19. dopeassmonkey

dopeassmonkey New Member

Fuel guage error contact dealer won't turn over.. Also lots of random warnings coming up while driving and the dash dies for a few seconds

20. dopeassmonkey

dopeassmonkey New Member

Fuel guage error contact dealer won't turn over.. Also lots of random warnings coming up while driving and the dash dies for a few seconds