Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden VZ V6 Engine Computer ECU Replacement (Replacements for Failed ECU, ECM, PCM)

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
VZ V6 ECU E55 Programmed Replacements

The Holden VZ V6 ECU (Also known as ECM and PCM) are infamous for failing engine computers which can result in a variety of errors and problems including no starting, require bridging starter motor, Service Vehicle Soon (SVS) error, fuel gauge error, very low fuel error and loss of communication.​

Pricing and Information
We can supply professionally remanufactured or brand new units which can be found here: https://www.envyouscustoms.com/product/holden-vz-v6-e55-gm-ecu-programmed-replacement/

Our replacement engine computers include all required programming, security linking and 1 year warranty.
Pricing is as follows:
  • VZ V6 ECU Refurbished - $880
  • VZ V6 ECU Brand New - $1100
To security link the replacement engine computer to your vehicle to make it plug and play, we require your cars original BCM, Ignition key and PIM.

Most dealership quotes are in excess of $1800-2200 for replacements, we offer this at a fraction of the cost.

Why do the VZ V6 Engine Computers Fail?
Our Holden VZ V6 Commodores are notorious for the ECU to become faulty or completely fail. I get a phone call every second day about failing VZ ECU's or see a new posting on Gumtree/forums in regards to a VZ V6 ECU having issues with the typical symptoms that indicate its going to fail soon.

When I have the ECU powered up on bench, it gets quite warm.. even hot after a while. So now imagine what happens when its bolted to the front of the engine exposed to the heat and weather! Its essentially a disaster waiting to happen!
Ontop of that, I believe the VZ V6 ECU plug is not 100% water proof, and seems that moisture due to wet roads or engine bay cleaning can lead to electrical shorts in the ECU causing failure.

There are 100's, and 100's of threads about the VZ V6 ECU becoming faulty and failing. Its unfortunately a VERY common issue which I think most V6 VZ's seem to get stung by at some point.

What are the Common Symptoms and Problems of a Failing VZ V6 Engine Computer?
For the VZ V6 ECU, the following are a common indication:
  • No Start Condition
  • Missing on one or more cylinders
  • Service Vehicle Soon (SVS) error on the instrument
  • Service Error, Contact Retailer on the instrument cluster
  • Very low Fuel error even when a full tank is present
  • Loss of communication to engine computer when using a scantool
  • Fault code P0201,P0202,P0203,P0204,P0205,P0206 Injector circuit malfunction
  • Wont crank, bridge starter relay and engine cranks
  • EXTREMELY rough idle, and struggles to run. Some injectors are not working (ECU pins have failed)
  • Powertrain Error and fuel gauge error on instrument cluster screen

Have a question?!
If you have a questions about any of this, please feel free ask away!

oilbyshug

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh/sle hz prem vr berlina vz Calais 190
Hi tazzl
have you got any further with this as I am over having to bridge the starter relay to start my vz calais....

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hi tazzl
have you got any further with this as I am over having to bridge the starter relay to start my vz calais....

Trying to!
I have a few second hand security sets (BCM, PIM and ECU) here which I can reset when required to be ready for the next vehicle. Currently all my time is being focused on getting another software out but will update this thread soon!

kenrobertson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ crewman v6
Hi TazzI, I have a VZ crewman, trying to set up ECU fron VZ "S", but all comes to quick stop. Please advise where I can get BCM/PIM/ECU & remotre key matched & price.
Hopefully in Perth area.
Thanks
Ken

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hi TazzI, I have a VZ crewman, trying to set up ECU fron VZ "S", but all comes to quick stop. Please advise where I can get BCM/PIM/ECU & remotre key matched & price.
Hopefully in Perth area.
Thanks
Ken

Hi Ken,

Lucky for you I am based in Perth as well. I will send you a PM in a moment.

Feel free to give me a call on my work number 0406140726

Regards,
Jason
(Western Australia)

nzv8farmer

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 04 VZ
Hey mate,

What is a ecu worth? And once reset can they just be plugged in and go?

Cheers

dwae01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais (sold), HSV Grange (sold), VZ Cross 6
Here we are late 2017 and the problems continue. Many thanks to Tazzl for his valuable advice. Have been quoted $1400 from local Holden dealer for a new ecu but they are having trouble sourcing one. Currently investigating your TazzIs other two options. I have a T2 clone.
If I have the appropriate numbers from the donor car how do I connect it to the T2 to clear it?
You mention the need to have the IMMO for both the donor and recipient cars but do I need the BCM codes as well?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Here we are late 2017 and the problems continue. Many thanks to Tazzl for his valuable advice. Have been quoted $1400 from local Holden dealer for a new ecu but they are having trouble sourcing one. Currently investigating your TazzIs other two options. I have a T2 clone.
If I have the appropriate numbers from the donor car how do I connect it to the T2 to clear it?
You mention the need to have the IMMO for both the donor and recipient cars but do I need the BCM codes as well?

Honestly, its been some time since Iv mucked around with linking VZ V6 ECUs, which is why I tend to try write everything down when its fresh in my head for later review. Based on what Iv posted, you should get both the immob and BCM security keys to relink everything together.

I do recall only using the immob key when only linking the ECU, but relinking PIM or BCM required the BCM security keys also.

Now, the above 'assumes' you are even get this security information. My local dealerships would not provide them without proof of ownership of the car (Which were wrecks!). So I use my own applications to read security information from them.

Because dealerships dont give this information easily (And for good reason), the option I recommend to everyone is to purchase the full security set (ECU,PIM,BCM,keys) as you do not need to worry about any security codes or reprogramming.

The only thing you need to worry about, is ensuring the security set you purchased is from the same engine/trans/body type vehicle.

As always, these ECUs are prone to failure. Its not a matter of 'IF" they will fail, its a matter of "WHEN".
Second hand parts may last 1month, 1year or 5years, who knows! The recommended option is a brand new ECU, but they will not always be available, so second hand will be the only way to go in years to come.

Sam76

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk 308
I have a vz crewman with an ecu thats faulty...I have a spare vz executive which runs well am I able to simply swap ecu bcm and pim from one car to other without any programming or code and resets...cheers