Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ V6 Engine cover removal

67wogval

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore
Hey fellas, i know its a simple thing, but why the heck wont my engine cover come of? I have removed all top bolts, even removed bolts and screws for injector bracket? Is there something im missing? Does someone have a diagram which states which bolts to remove. I have looked and looked, but i can`t see what is holding it. I have tried a little force but it aint budging.

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
Do you mean the side covers or the centre silver bit?

67wogval

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore
I mean the centre engine cover, not the rocker covers. Here is a photo of what i mean, i have removed the top 6 bolts, and even the little screws and nuts for the bracket that holds the injectors in place. There must be something else i need to remove as it wont budge.

IMG801.jpg

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Wow that's the first time I've seen the alloytech engines and there is no way in hell ill be getting one lol any way back to the op run your hand up behind the firewall and see if there are any bolts right up the back holding it in place

67wogval

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore
Thanks Jonnii, i thought that but then again i thought i would have had some sort of play to make it budge at least while still having the air box connected. I am wanting to remove it as i suspect i have a faulty coil, so im wanting to fix that problem. I am aware ill need a new gasket, thats not a problem. I`ll go outside and give it another go.

67wogval

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore
Its ok i just pulled it of, it had no gasket and was glued on, thats why it was so hard to come of, anyway i pulled out the coil on bottom left, closet to radiator and my suspicion was correct that coil lead to plug is broken and damaged, causing loss of spark, ill put up photos tonight, but here is one of the cover of.
567141_10151332665967340_1475657152_o.jpg

67wogval

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore
This is the damaged coil i wanted to get at
566988_10151332673282340_1498835727_o.jpg

Another question, what size socket do i need to pull out the spark plugs? I want to check the condition of them while i have it of. There is no hurry as car isn`t getting driven this week, so i have a bit of time to do all this.