Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz V6 Into Vt

Scottie666

Scottie
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Acclaim, 1988 Vl Comm,2007 VE BERLINA
Hi Guys i am wondering if the vz 3.6 litre will bolt straight into a vt commodore. do i have to use the vz gearbox if this can be done. is there anything i have to change except for the wiring loom and computer.
please help. i could be getting an engine that has done only 15,000klms and has been owned by an old lady since new.
your help would be great..
cheers:thumbsup:

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
I wouldent mind knowing more on that too mate

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
I would think you would need a new ECU from a VZ...most likely the gearbox aswell...maybe even more because you are talking about an alloytech into an ecotech shell....seems to me like it would be much more complicated that a straight eco-to-eco.

98commyute

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VS S ute
The alloytec would fit into the vt engine bay easily but i would say you will need new ecu etc unsure about gearbox though?? my bet is that you will either need to modifiy or change your existing gearbox for the alloytec to bolt up, but why would you want to change to the alloytec anyway?? ecotecs have far better low down torque and there is a large market of performance parts for them while the alloytecs may have a larger power output (175 executive/190kw sv6,calais etc)there is not many performance parts available for them as they are relatively new and alot of people say they are not as strong as the ecotecs/buick motors.

in my experience i have raced a alloytec 190 sv6 5 speed paddle shift (my car 147kw ecotec 4 speed auto) and i was ahead for a fair way until about 90-100 where the alloytec started to pull ahead. My mates 190 sv6 6 speed manual seems pretty quick (even though he hardly thrashes it). IMO i would stick with the ecotec and spend the money on it im, sure with of the shelf performance parts your ecotec will easily give the alloytec a scare haha

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
^^^ Pretty much what he said, if you just get an ecotech engine for it you'd be better off, less un-known factors and lots more options for modification with the older ecotech engines.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
I would think you would need a new ECU from a VZ...most likely the gearbox aswell...maybe even more because you are talking about an alloytech into an ecotech shell....seems to me like it would be much more complicated that a straight eco-to-eco.

Incorrect. VZ ECU will not communicate with VT-X-Y BCM. Only way to do it is aftermarket ECU. Oh,& a LS conversion works out cheaper.

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
and u forgot the fly by wire throttle not worth the time or money a ls conversion is cheaper ftw