Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ v6/SV6 OTR CAI

nalchlan

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS executive series II 'S pack'
as there are not over the radiator cold air intakes for the vz v6, would it be possible to use an otrcai off either the V8 or any other otrcai as long as the piping for the throttle body has the same dimention/bolt pattern? or just use it how it is and make some custom piping off of the throttle body in place of factory intake piping. cheers

10WVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT s pac
can get a cai for sv6, look in right places or google... black sv6 ute on street commodores with a otr cai

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
link to this car? i personally have not yet seen one except for the ebay ones. the reason the otr will not work on the alloytec is because the maf is too close and because of laminar flow. google it if your not sure on what that means. che have tried to make one, but gave up the idea as it was too difficult to tune and because the gains with the cost of the otr didnt weigh up, best bet is to get whatever is on the market. either that or buy a motec and mafless tune your sv6 with an otr :)

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
a mate at work has one on his vz sv6. so they do exist. but its not the nornal due to that maf sensor.
basically it looks the same from the front but the hole out the back is off set to the passanger side, then it does a 90 degree bend to the maf sensor then another 90 degree bend inot the throttle body. sounds weird but still flow better then other set ups

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
im guessing its an ebay otr? theyre the only ones i have seen with the maf attached to the throttle body at a 90 degree angle

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
OTR tunes do not work on these cars! OTR essentially requires proper removal of the MAF so your VE must be tuned to run the car without an air sensor. Thats the entire IDEA of MAFLESS OTR!

Otherwise if you get a OTR with a dodgy mocked up MAF hold........... it needs ALOT of recalibrating of the MAF no matter what they say on eBay. Even things like MAF Reversion (when you take your foot off throttle) play a big role in this sort of POS.

---------

When you buy one and your car starts running like crap........... Then see if it's cool hey. Your better off going a 2-hole mod, mace cai kit or SS inductions. Otherwise if u really want a OTR, buy a V8 to put a proper one on.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
your a bit off the mark there mate... first of all there is no such this as a OTR tune. OTR means 'over the radiator', its just a type of intake. even with the v8s you dont need a mafless tune if the intake is setup up to take the maf sensor
secondly it will not make the car run bad, the air sensor is still there and doing its job. it is simply removing the retriction of the air box and giving it a better placement for cooler free flowing air.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
actually naf your wrong. I'm 100% dead on the mark. OTR is 99.9% prefered mafless tune to go with it.......... and I know what it stands for you idiot. The maf sensor when moved around 'at all' need to essentially be re-calibrated on the ECU. It's not just some generic thing u can blow air on and it'll measure the same every time........ there's a bit more to it then that.

....... excuse me for thinking thats a numskull comment but sorry I know better........... OTR is not for the alloytech V6......... well not atleast the VZ series

mike4226

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz equipe 3.6
ok so i dont know much about these otr.At the moment i have a k&n filter in my standard airbox really not much noticeable gains(just better throttle).My mate wants to help me do the 2 hole mod,but after seeing the one on ebay in a previous post makes me want to buy the otr.cars a v6 alloytech.What would be the best in terms of performance??