Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LetterioCaruso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore & VC Commodore
Hi all just wanting some help in regards to fitting a 6 litre into my VZ V6 Sedan. Before I start getting just sell it and buy a v8 I completely agree with you that it’s heaps easier but due to sentimental family reasons results in why I want to do the conversion.
I have a 6 litre engine out of a WM Caprice V and have converted everything over to VZ v8 (sump, VZ L76 Engine loom, air compressor etc) I wrecked a VZ SS sedan so I have all exact parts I need such as the trans, tailshaft diff, k frame power steering lines, AC lines trans lines etc.
My issue is the body loom! Has anyone done the conversion without changing the entire body loom? The ECU plug which comes out of the body loom does anyone know a way or someone who could make an adapter to plug the V8 ECU into or can you cut the existing plugs and replace with the matching V8 ECU plug? As I have the original loom for the engine so I can cut the v8 plug off of that. I am 16 and have saved up ready for the conversion and done heaps of work getting all the bits I need and doing up my car and really want to do it in memory of my grandfather and my uncle and for my own enjoyment. Any help and advice pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
just run the proper loom thru it as it will be harder in short term but way easier long term

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
I second the post above. Take the complete body wiring harness as well. If it’s the only part you haven’t removed, do it.

It might take an extra day on each vehicle, but you’ll learn heaps and almost guarantee a factory error free setup.

You’ll kick yourself if you end up chasing electrical problems forever (or pay people like me to do it).

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Can’t really help with your issue but I think it’s awesome to see a young fella giving it a go mate :cool: you should post a thread in the show off your ride section

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
For memory it's only the dash loom that needs changing. But If you have the full vehicle body loom available to you change the whole thing over for sure. Also be aware you will need to change the reluctor wheel from a 56 tooth to a 24 tooth so it talks to the VZ ecu correctly. There are converters available for $500 or so, but be worth just pulling the crank out and doing it once and for all. Maybe even worth doing bearings whilst your down there.

LetterioCaruso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore & VC Commodore
Just buy a v8.

This is exactly what i was told when i did this myself. Dont be scared to jump in head first, but i will give you the heads up, it isnt as easy as you plan - although alloytech to 6.0 is a lot easier than alloytech to 5.7.
You will need everything from firewall forward except for the aircon condenser and radiator overflow bottle. Dont forget to replace the fuel pump as the v6 pump wont support the 6.0 (I changed over the entire pump and sender assembly), and the stock 6.0 pump will support around 340rwkw in case you plan for upgrades in the future.
VE/WM engine ancillaries mount 19mm further back than VZ so everything attached to the engine will need to be retrofitted - you mentioned having a vzss for parts so you should have everything available. NOTHING in the alloytec engine bay is useable except the bottom of the airbox and a few pieces of plastic. Even the radiator and fans need to be changed.
If you are running an auto you will need the 4l65e as earlier trans dont run an input shaft speed sensor.
Make sure the vehicle you are putting the 6.0 in runs post cat oxy sensors. Not a deal breaker as this can be turned off with a flash tune but be warned it will throw a few fault codes.
You will need a VZ E38 ecu and the t42 trans controller (if auto)
You will need to relink the ecm to the pim/bcm
You will need to reconfigure the abs module, instrument cluster and pim
You can use the v6 accelerator pedal but not the 5.7 throttle pedal.
All VZ 6.0 use the 58x reluctor wheel except HSV vehicles that run an E40 ecm. Grey crank and cam sensor = 58x. Black sensors = 24x

I personally cut and shut the wiring loom as my donor car was a ute and didnt have a choice. Everything works. No electrical issues. There are around 40 wires to splice to the ecu (there are 2 or 3 left over on a v6 body loom - dont worry about them). It gets confusing as there are multiple wires running the same trace colors.
If splicing the loom you will need to also splice the ignition power wiring - fortunately the color codes on these wirings are the same however the plugs are on opposite sides of the engine bay so it will need to be extended.
You will need to splice the MAF plug and add an additional ground.
You will need to re-pin the transmission loom plug on the inside of the left front kick panel as all the wires are in different positions (I made a patch loom as i had a few spare plugs)
You will need to run an extra wire to the PIM as gen4 engines use canbus to command the starter motor where as alloytecs use the traditional method of powering the starter solenoid relay from the ignition switch (this one had me stumped for a while)
An extra ground needs to be run to the body aswell.

I hope I havent scared you off yet.

As for why i done this? First of all, I am a bit partial to the VZ. I bought a VZ in reasonable condition for less than 1k with engine issues. I threw around $4k at it (not including my own labour) and i now have a legal, roadworthy, vicroads approved and insurable MY06 6.0 VZ - no engineers needed in Victoria if the engine was offered in factory form.
Have you seen the price of a 6.0 VZ lately?

Also - First post in 12 years of reading. I hope im welcome to the forums :)
You are first person I’ve spoken to in a year and a half to actually give me the info I wanted to hear haha.
Do you have Facebook or phone number so we could talk a bit easier I have a few more questions. Thanks heaps mate

petern64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6lt , 2017 Mustang GT , 2021 BT50 SP
I'd be fitting the VZ 6.0LT brakes too