Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wing_nut_101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Before everyone jumps to tell me "Don't do it, It's cheaper to buy a full VZ SS blah blah blah" I know. I know it's cheaper, but my VZ SS Ute was written off the other day (Smashed in the entire rear end courtesy of rain and a telegraph pole...) I am curious as to how hard it is to just throw everything out of my SS into a V6 Body. Does the LS actually fit into the V6 chassis? Sub Frames, ETC? I have all the parts I need sitting here, and I can buy an V6 Roller for around 800 bucks. Is it possible to do? I know in the VE that the LS won't physically fit into the SV6 Body because holden moved the firewall for the SV6. Please don't hit me with the "Don't do it because it's too expensive" Spiel. I just need to know if it CAN be done, given I have all the parts. Essentially, I just want to body swap a V6 body and chassis onto the V8 Drive line. Any clues? Cheers everyone.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I know in the VE that the LS won't physically fit into the SV6 Body because holden moved the firewall for the SV6.

Really keen to hear where you heard this one.

Of course it's possible. The only scenario where it's a good one is the one you're in where you have a complete donor. The engine bay is exactly the same (it's exactly the same for the VE too), the only physical difference in the engine bay is the k-frame.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You’ll be glad to know the VE bodies are identical no matter what engine goes in. The VF changed firewall design but that too is the same across all motors.
K-frames differ, as do front springs.

Likewise for the VT-VZ and all models previous.

The conversion will be straight forward, it’s the compatibility of harnesses and computers that interests me.

I run a VZ wagon BCM in my Cab chassis VZ.

You might need to find a BCM from an SS sedan? That stuff you can figure out later because it only takes a few minutes to change computers and key but out at the end. Might work.

The cluster will also need to be swapped to your donor car.

Fuel pump maybe?

Check out Latys Garage on you tube. He did a V6- V8 conversion on a one tonner.

Enjoy the viewing

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Ofcourse it can be done...takes alot of patience & many many hours of labour.

We only say don't do it IF you don't have same model donor car that has everything required or poster has no mechanical ability or knowledge they'll be fighting an uphill battle.

It will take longer than you think it will & many parts from v6 to v8 will be different so don't be surprised when you want to chuck the towel in 100 times

Rodvyls2l98

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Calais with a ls2 l98 motor tremec t56 6 speed
I’m in the middle of putting my l98 out of my 07 Vz ss Ute into a vy v6 shell I have to get a Vz v8 main body loom I’m having problems with getting power to the fuel pump n having dramas with power to throttle body, if any1 can give me a few pointers would b great n hope this helps in anyway

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I’m in the middle of putting my l98 out of my 07 Vz ss Ute into a vy v6 shell I have to get a Vz v8 main body loom I’m having problems with getting power to the fuel pump n having dramas with power to throttle body, if any1 can give me a few pointers would b great n hope this helps in anyway
I’d look at converting back to ls1 cable setup (loom/pcm etc) so that it integrates fully with the vy body loom, and use a lingenfelter converter.

Rodvyls2l98

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Calais with a ls2 l98 motor tremec t56 6 speed
I’d look at converting back to ls1 cable setup (loom/pcm etc) so that it integrates fully with the vy body loom, and use a lingenfelter converter.
By converting back can I still use my intake manifold coz on the ls1 it’s a 3 bolt throttle body mont also my throttle body is 102mm with 4 bolt ? Also is that answered simply by buying a new 102 mm cable throttle body?

Webby90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ss ute 6.0ltr
I have a vz ss ute
Before everyone jumps to tell me "Don't do it, It's cheaper to buy a full VZ SS blah blah blah" I know. I know it's cheaper, but my VZ SS Ute was written off the other day (Smashed in the entire rear end courtesy of rain and a telegraph pole...) I am curious as to how hard it is to just throw everything out of my SS into a V6 Body. Does the LS actually fit into the V6 chassis? Sub Frames, ETC? I have all the parts I need sitting here, and I can buy an V6 Roller for around 800 bucks. Is it possible to do? I know in the VE that the LS won't physically fit into the SV6 Body because holden moved the firewall for the SV6. Please don't hit me with the "Don't do it because it's too expensive" Spiel. I just need to know if it CAN be done, given I have all the parts. Essentially, I just want to body swap a V6 body and chassis onto the V8 Drive line. Any clues? Cheers everyone.

I'm in the same scenario I have the vz ss ute and wanted to swap everything out of the ss (dash, seats, motor, gearbox, diff and wiring loom) Into a vy wagon i have with blown up v6 in it so ill be interested to hear some thoughts on this

Adie86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 One Tonner
I have a vz ss ute

I'm in the same scenario I have the vz ss ute and wanted to swap everything out of the ss (dash, seats, motor, gearbox, diff and wiring loom) Into a vy wagon i have with blown up v6 in it so ill be interested to hear some thoughts on this

I've recently completed a very similar conversion in a VZ One Tonner. If you're confident enough to pull-out the dash pad, to swap out the main dash loom, the conversion isn't all that difficult. With two people, the dash loom swap would easily be done in a weekend. Swap kframe, install the V8 and trans, then use the ecu, pim, bcm and key from the SS Ute. Would also need to install accelerator pedal for drive by wire. This would get the engine to the running stage.

My project

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-one-tonner-v6-v8-conversion.289567/