Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ V6 Wagon Weird Sound

swift85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EXECUTIVE 3.6 WAGON
Lately i have noticed a weird sound from the rear of my VZ wagon,it seems to be coming from the rear of the car somewhere and it is mostly when you decelerate,(take the foot off the excelerator) it is a sound like something turning and gets quieter as the car slows.
Any ideas.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Lately i have noticed a weird sound from the rear of my VZ wagon,it seems to be coming from the rear of the car somewhere and it is mostly when you decelerate,(take the foot off the excelerator) it is a sound like something turning and gets quieter as the car slows.
Any ideas.

if its coasting and still making the noise does it disappear when you swerve one way to the other?

rb0135

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra SX6
Any ideas.

This sounds exactly the issue I had, and I'm an expert on this as it took me 3 years to convince Holden there was an issue. They replaced the diff twice to remedy the issue and then told me it was harmonics.

There is a Techline Article (holden internal faults bullitens) about it. It is called Cyclic Knocking.

What it is is the splines on the rear axles are NOT tight fitting into the hubs on the diff and you get the knocking when de-accelerating or coasting along.

They finally agreed it was a fault, followed the Techline article to fix it and replaced the axles (with larger/thicker splines) and other parts... Problem went away.

Go to your Holden dealer and tell them you have a Cyclic knocking Issue and that you know there is a Techline Article relating to it (I dont have the number or anything, but they should be able to look it up).

Hope this helps..

Rob